A New Desk Tidy! by Amanda Pink

11:00

 Hi Everyone 

I have a 'useful' project to share with you today that I have created using some of That's Crafty's fabulous MDF surfaces and stamps. 

The project itself is a desk tidy that could be used to hold brushes crayons, pens or crafting tools to keep them close to hand while you are creating. 

Alternately, it could be used to keep any 'bits and bobs' tidy in one place that maybe lying around the home. 
 
If you are a creative of course the best part is that you can 'make it your own'- painting, altering, decorating however you choose. 

 
The desk tidy box/cube is a That's Crafty! MDF ATB. I used the 3 x 3 inch. The ATB's come flat packed so can be assembled to suit whatever it is you are creating. As I was making a desk tidy I wanted the ATB to be 'open topped' so I only used 5 of the ATB panels. The panels interlock together as you can see in the photo below so assembling is easy and That's Crafty! Multi-Purpose Adhesive makes for strong adhesion in no time at all. 
 

I painted the interior and exterior walls of my open ATB with a couple of coats of black acrylic paint and set aside to dry while I created the panels I used to cover the exterior walls. 


For these I painted a piece of A4 mixed media paper with Dina Wakley Heavy Body Acrylics: Ruby, Cheddar, Lemon. I applied the colours one at a time using both brushes and sponge to gradually build up layers, depth and variation of colour.


The painted paper was then cut into 4 panels to fit the 4 walls of the desk tidy. 
Each of the panels was stamped and embossed using a stamp from That's Crafty's 'Texture 2' stamp set with Seth Apter's 'Eclipse' Baked Velvet Embossing powders.


Here's a close up of the embossed stamping!!


To finish the 4 panels I frame the stamped embossing with some Tim Holtz 'Halloween Trim Tapes.' 


The 4 panels were  adhered to the exterior walls of my painted desk tidy and each panel was embellished with a mounted butterfly.  


 The butterflies are from That's Crafty's 'Arty Wings' stamp set.  There are 2 designs of butterfly, with 3 sizes of each design included in the set.  I stamped and embossed 4 medium sized butterflies, 2 of each design so I could feature one of each design on adjacent sides of the desk tidy.


The butterflies were set on geometric mounts made up of a painted That's Crafty! MDF inchie and a wood chip circle caught with Dina's Ruby and Cheddar heavy body acrylic. 
Their thoraces were embellished with a black gem bead. 


 Here's another look at my desk tidy filled with Distress Crayons. 
It's definitely added a warm radiant glow to my art space and lifted the spirits!


Products I used: 

Mixed Media Paper
Paper Trimmer 
Sponge
Black Gem beads  
Hope you have enjoyed your time here with me today. 
Thanks for stopping by. 
Hope you have a lovely week 
Take care and stay safe 
Amanda 
x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook