Christmas Shadow Box by Nikki Acton

11:00


We're very sad to be saying goodbye to Nikki today. Its been fantastic having you as part of the team Nikki and we wish you well in your new job. Thank you for all your fantastic projects over the last year.


Hello, Nikki here with my final post here on the That’s Crafty! blog. I am so sad to be leaving the design team but I recently started a new job and unfortunately I need to focus on that for a while. It has been a pleasure and an honour to work with Laura and Graham at That’s Crafty! and the rest of the DT. One of the highlights has been using That’s Crafty! own range of surfaces, paints and stencils and creating samples for the Hochanda shows. So I thought I would leave with the large shadow box I created for the August Christmas shows.


I would be lying if I said this project was quick! I made it over several days – so I am not quite sure how long in total. Here is a quick summary of what I did:








MDF Shadow Box Background


Coat with white gesso
Painted with Dylusion Blue paint (After Midnight)
Once dry add matt medium and scrunched tissue paper – adding additional matt medium on top
Allow to dry and dry brush with That’s Crafty! Metallic Silver paint


MDF insides and outside


Coat with white gesso
Sponge That’s Crafty! Blue Shimmer paint
Sponge That’s Crafty! Pearl Shimmer Paint

Trees


Add white gesso
Sponge  with That’s Crafty! Multi Surface Green paint
Add a little dark blue to the green paint (I used DecoArt Prussian Blue) and sponge a little more for darker highlights
Continue adding colour – I used a little That’s Crafty! Multi Surfacee Yellow and finally some white gesso for snowy effects






Reindeer


Add white gesso
Sponge That’s Crafty! Multi Surface paints in Yellow and Brown – drying between colours
Sponge a little white gesso
Edge with Cut and Dry Foam and brown ink

Snowflakes


Add white gesso
Add That’s Crafty! Metallic Silver paint
Add a little brown ink to the edges

Snow


To create the effect of depth in the shadow box I took some thick greyboard, cut to fit and scored to enable me to create little stands for the reindeer and trees to be secured to. I covered in white gesso before adding That’s Crafty! Metallic paint – Pearl to create the look of glistening snow! (The front piece is made from the scrap card from the trees bits and pieces greyboard sheet).





Sign


I took a little bit of greyboard and added vertical brush strokes of white and brown paint. I added a remnant rub – Happy Christmas, but any stamp would be fine. I used my finger to add a little gesso to the top for snow and once dry secured to the top of the shadow box using clear wire.







Once again, thanks to That’s Crafty! for having me here over the last year.

Nikki


Supplies 

That’s Crafty! Shimmer Paint – Dark Blue and Pearl
That’s Crafty! Multi Surface Paint – Green, Yellow and Brown

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. Stunning swan song, good luck with the job
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Amanda! 2 weeks in... getting there.. !!XX

      Delete
  2. This is truly stunning, when I first saw it I fell in love with it but seeing all the detail and textures up close makes it even more fabulous. We are going to miss your magnificent creations at That's Crafty but hope to see you keeping your crafty hands busy again soon.. All the Best Nikki & Good Luck.
    Creative Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tracey... I shall be following the blog and all your designs even if I don't get chance to comment all the time! xxx

      Delete
  3. Just Fabulous Nikki!!!
    I absolutely love this serene vignette! Excellent work!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps...
      Sorry to see you leaving here but sending you best wishes and good luck on wherever your new journeys take you! ")

      Delete
  4. Soooo beautiful! Lots of detail and awesomeness - a wonderful final post! You will be missed! Congratulations on your new job and I hope it goes well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely delightful, Nikki - this will make for a wonderful piece of festive home decor. I particularly love the shading on the deer, subtle and very effective. So sad not to see you here at TC again, but this is a fabulous farewell!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a gorgeous "goodbye" piece, Nikki.
    I so love your creation, the deer are beautifully painted with the sponge technique , and your background with the tissue paper, almost looks like the air is glistening with icicles all over !! Also love your Merry Christmas sign , and the depth created. We have almost only met, so I`m sad to see you leave, but I wish you all the very best in your new job, and hope to see you again, later !
    Hugs, Dorthe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorthe - shall continue to follow your wonderful tactile creations xx

      Delete
  7. What an absolute stunner Nikki! I am sure we will all miss your gorgeous That's Crafty creations - and what a way to sign off! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so very beautiful! Best of luck with the new job. Will miss you and your lovely creations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An absolutely stunning creation Nikki and the perfect final post from you too. Good luck again and will miss you.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that Nikki will be sorely missed! Best wishes in her future endeavors. What a fabulous sendoff project! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ll miss you so much Nikki as you’ve been an amazing teamie who makes the most wonderful creations especially your fab rust effects. This is a real stunner you’ve saved until last too :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this first time I saw it and sill do. Fabulous shadow box. Sad we are both leaving but it's been fun. I'm sure like me you will still find some time to craft. Good luck with your new job.
    Bev. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nikki, It is so sad that you are leaving the team but completely understandable and I'm sure it has been a tough decision.
    Will miss viewing your That's Crafty creations so very much. The shadow box is a thing of beauty... stunning.
    Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook