Country Style Christmas Wreath by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hi there, I’m back with another Christmas make this week as after all Christmas is getting closer every day lol. I call this my country style one as I tried out a sort of basket weave effect on the background for my festive flowers and leaves. It’s easier than you think too, so hopefully it might encourage you to give it a try.








Ingredients:


That’s Crafty! Surfaces – Bits and Pieces Greyboard Sheets – Christmas Florals 2, Holly and Mistletoe
That’s Crafty! Multi Surface Paints – Christmas Red, Green, Black
That’s Crafty! Shimmer Paints – Charcoal, Pearl
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Paynes Grey, Titanium White, Titan Buff
Palette Knives – I use the Ranger Black Palette Knife Set, which is so useful
Fine Embossing or Scoring Tool


Recipe:


The first thing I did was to cover my wreath - I used the largest one for this – using a palette knife to spread on quite a thick layer. Don’t worry if it sticks out a bit round the edges as you can sort that out in a bit. Now comes the fun bit, which is to use the side of a palette knife to draw a sort of crisscross pattern in the texture paste to resemble basket weave. It doesn’t have to be perfect to look good either.


The next step is to dab on paint when the paste is dry. I used the brown and grey DecoArt acrylics for this and applied the paint with some cosmetic sponges. Again it doesn’t need to be perfect. Here’s a pic of a small section painted up but not yet given the magic touch.






Once the paint was dry, I then gave it the extra touch to finish it off by using my fingers to rub on the Charcoal Shimmer paint and some of the Antique Gold Metallic. This really does give it a magical touch as it has a lovely rich sheen which looks like varnished cane furniture.

I then prepared my chosen greyboard embellishments, scoring on details on the leaves and berries and on the large and small flower heads. I painted these with the multi surface paints, adding a touch of Black to some Green to make a darker shade for the holly leaves. I painted the mistletoe berries with the White and buff shades, adding Pearl Shimmer over the top.






I used the gold Posca pen to add some detail to my flowers and then glued all the elements on with silicone glue. I finished off the wreath by adding gold dots to the flowers with the liquid pearls and using coloured pencils for detail on some of the leaves.


We have another great challenge for you today over at That’s Crafty! Challenge Blog, one I really enjoyed too and hope you will. There’s a fab prize up for grabs if you enter too so don’t miss out!


Have a great weekend and see you next week.

Fliss x

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Reminds me of a cosy open fire in the countryside at Christmas time, fab wreath
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you have cross hatched to give texture to the wreath ring Fliss and you have really made the mistletoe come to life with your delicate shading and pearl shimmer. A beautiful wreath that would bless any door..
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, your texture of basket weave, gives an amazing feeling to the wreath, Fliss, and mixing with the charcoal gives such a life to it. The flowers and mistletoe are both painted so very beautiful, and I love the pearl shimmer you used to the white berries, making them look alive , also the leaves are so lovely painted. A real beautiful country home wreath .
    Hugs from Dorthe, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab make Fliss. Love that texture on the wreath and that mistletoe is just gorgeous. Love it.
    Bev. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely traditional Xmas wreath superbly made
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook