Field Notes Journal Cover by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hi there, Fliss here today to share the cover of my new art journal which has to be quite sturdy as I intend taking it on nature walks with my travel paint palette so that I can do some painting if the mood takes me!








Ingredients:


That’s Crafty! Shimmer Paints – Charcoal, Green
Palette Knife – mine are from the Ranger Black Palette Knife Set
Journal – mine is A6 in size as I need one to fit in my bag
Evergreen type leaf sprigs


Recipe:


This is really simple to make as all you need to do is spread a layer of texture paste over the cover, including between the spiral binding if your journal has this.


Next, take your evergreen leaves and press them gently into the texture paste. I used a longer one next to the spine and shorter leaves across the bottom. Carefully remove the leaves and you will have a lovely impressed pattern – perfect for a nature journal. Leave to dry completely.






I coloured the cover with the Multi Surface Green and Antique Gold paints, watering them down a little for a slightly washed out look. The paints are highly pigmented so a little goes a long way if you dilute them. Once the basecoat was dry, I then went to work with the Charcoal Shimmer paint and some gold, both of which were also diluted, to pick out the detail in the leaf impressions. This bit is the one I enjoy the most as you can totally transform the look of the cover.







As a final touch for my simple cover, I sponged a little green shimmer paint and antique gold paint on my chosen chipboard quote chips and stuck them on with strong glue.


We have a great new challenge for you today over at That’s Crafty! Challenge Blog so do take a look to see how you can win a great prize just for entering.


Have a great weekend and see you next week.


Fliss x

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. A gorgeous idea, with the leaves, you pressed into the gesso, Fliss, they looks amazing ,and I wish I could see the shimmer and gold,- it must be so very beautiful, out in nature, with sun or light shining on this lovely nature journal. Love your Field Notes- signs, too.
    Hugs, Dorthe, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dorthe, so kind and glad you like it. Nature is my favourite source of inspiration too.
      Hugs, Fliss xx

      Delete
  2. Great cover for your journal, this technique is becoming your signature technique, lovely effect.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an effective design Fliss, It's as if the evergreens prints are fossilised finds. Perfect for your travel journal. I hope you will share your sketches and paintings with us.
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such gorgeousness Fliss and I love the way you've created it to be used as well.....will we get a peek inside once the pages start filling up ;)
    hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! Love the beautiful imprint for fab texture and the lovely colours. It will be cool to see some of your painting inside after your trips!? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful journal cover Fliss. Love the way you built the colors an texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fliss, this is stunning! I love the stamping of the leaves! Great idea!
    Beautiful coloring as well!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fliss, beautiful texture and the colour could not be more perfect for a Field Journal. Maybe you will share pages with us along the way.
    It's funny, you and I must be having similar thoughts as I made two field journals (not for DT projects), we obviously have thoughts of nature in our minds at the moment :)
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous make. Great colour and texture. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook