Battered and Rusted by Amanda Southern

11:00


 Hi Everyone
For this weeks post I am sharing the last of my pieces I made for the last Hochanda show which saw the launch of a new MDF storage solution designed by my team mate Rachel Harris and Rachel did a fabulous job designing this one as at the time of it's TV launch it just stole the show. So for this weeks make I'd like to show you what I did with the cabinet I had to play with.


Here's What I Did:

First thing was to build up the cabinet and drawers, this is easy to do and made easier as the pieces are marked. I used That's Crafty! adhesive to glue everything into place and just wrapped some elastic bands around to hold in place till glue dried and this glue dries really quickly. Once the glue was dried I painted over all the MDF with Grey Multi Surface Paint, no need for gesso as the Multi Surface Paint gives fantastic coverage. Next step was to randomly rub silver gilding wax over most of the Grey paint, you could also use a silver paint but I like that the wax gives a little resist following putting the top layer of paint on. Once I had applied the silver wax I left it for about 30 mins and then buffed it all up with a soft cloth. I then painted all over the unit again this time with Christmas Red Multi Surface Paint I then left this to be absolutely bone dry. Once I was happy it was dry I took to it with a sanding block and a piece of sandpaper to distress up the entire unit and revealing, in places, the silver wax below the paint to give the appearance of an old an battered metal filing cabinet. 

To add the rust around the edges of the drawers I used That's Crafty! Sand Texture Paste and mixed it with a mixture of Multi Surface Paints some Grey, some Brown and some Orange until I got a rusty coloured paste and then applied the paste to where I wanted it around the drawers. 



The label holders on the front you get with the kit and they are made out of Craftyboard so will take many mediums to colour them, mine have been coloured using the same silver wax and distress and coloured with some Chestnut Brown Multi Surface Paints. The knobs I have attached do not come with the kit, mine are Tim Holtz, but you do get some MDF ones to add to your cabinet. 


Here you can see one of the drawers, perfectly sized to hold your ATC collection or infact anything you choose.

Here's What I Used:
Sand Paper
Tim Holtz Idea-ology 

                                                Have a great week and I will see you all next Tuesday
Love
Amanda X

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook