Cabinet Creativity! by Amanda Pink

11:00

 Hi Everyone, 


Over the last month or so That's Crafty! have added some fabulous new storage units to their MDF range so today I am sharing one of their ATC cabinets designed by Rachel Harries that I have altered in my own grungy way. 


As its name suggests Rachel has designed the cabinet to house Artist Trading Cards (ATC's) in the pull out drawers but it could be used to house a whole host of other bits and pieces whether they be crafty or otherwise. Personally I think it would be a handy little cabinet to have anywhere in the home, be it the kitchen, the office or even the bedroom - for all you ladies out there (not me, hahaha) it would make for some great 'lippy' of nail polish storage!  
The ATC cabinets are sold flat pack for self assembly - but assembling is real easy....


... and That's Crafty! have helped as they have identified what each of the cabinet pieces are on each of the mdf carrier sheets


The cabinet can be altered either before or after assembling. I always tend to paint all the 'parts' first so they have a base colour and painting the inner sides before assembling makes for far less fiddliness (imho).

 I popped all the mdf pieces out of 
their carrier sheets and painted them with black acrylic paint. 


Then assembled the cabinet and 2 drawers using That's Crafty! Multi Surface Adhesive which gives really strong lasting adhesion. Perfect for a project like this.  


I set the cabinet to one side to dry and created a masterboard using some of Seth Apters Aladine Izink Ice (Iced Coffee, Melted Butter, Whiskey Frost).

I worked on canvas paper and applied the Izink Ice colours one at a time with a palette knife. 
I did this freely and randomly so it 'went where it went' so to speak.
I continued in this way gradually building up depth of colour and creating texture by applying the Ice thicker in places, scratching into it with the palette knife and by hitting it with some heat so it bubbled and crazed. 
  

The masterboard was then cut down into individual panels to fit the sides, back and top of the cabinet and the fronts of the 2 drawers. 


As Izink Ice is stamp friendly I added some stamp detail to each of the panels using a couple of Seth Apter Stamps, one from his PaperArtsy Eclectica ESA16 stamp set and one of his Impression Obsession stamps.

Some Prima Finnabair metallique wax helped emphasis the bubbled texture.


The panels were then adhered to the cabinet and drawers. 
 using That's Crafty! Multi Surface Adhesive, it really is the adhesive that suits all needs - my go to. 




 The cabinet comes with some Craftyboard label plates and mdf circles to use as drawer knobs but I chose to use some brass ring pulls that I  had in my stash. 


 I also gave my cabinet legs - 4 small wooden cubes painted black and adhered in the corners of the base of the cabinet. 


With one now altered to match the ATB desk tidy I made last year (you can see it here if you missed it) I'm keen to alter another. 

Be sure to browse the blog as some of the design team members have recently been posting the ones they altered in their own creative way for the launch show on Hochanda.  


 Products I used 

White Canvas Paper 
Paper Trimmer/ Guillotine
Ruler
Wooden Cubes 
Brass Ring Pulls 

Thanks for stopping by today. 
Your visits and any comments you leave are always appreciated. 
Have a great creative week 
Take care 
Amanda 
x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook