Treasure Box by Gill Humphrey

11:00


Giving gift cards has become almost the norm but they can seem almost inconsequential just tucked in a card so what could be better than giving the card tucked in a keepsake box? So today I am sharing with you an exploding box. Whilst it is possible to buy the box components pre cut and scored they really are not difficult to make for your self using 12 x 12 card stock and here is how.
 
Take your card stock and score at 4" and 8" rotate and score the opposite direction thereby dividing the card into 9 squares. Now cut out the 4 corner squares using the score lines for cut placement - I find using a craft knife and metal ruler gives a better  result than using a pair of scissors. Reinforce the folds now using a bone folder  and there you go one base piece created.

Now for the lid. Take another piece of 12 x 12" card stock and cut down to make an 8" square. Score at 2" from each edge and then make 4 cuts in the coners created by the score lines.  I do two cuts on two sides which gives me 4 tabs for gluing the sides together. Now you have your lid formed in the easiest way possible. The measurements given here give a lid that fits quite loosely and of course you can adjust to make a tighter fit if you choose too. You can also reduce the size of the side pieces for the lid again by reducing the size of the cardstock - start with 4" and add  2 x depth of the side pieces you want and that will give you a starting square.


To decorate my box I have used 8 x 8 Romantic Journal papers by Stamperia. You will find that these boxes are definitely paper heavy - my make has used almost the entire pack so it is worth having a new pad of papers before you start. All of my paper elements were adhered with Multi Purpose Glue using a pen applicator for ease of application. In addition I scuffed the edge of the mat and layered papers with the edge of a pair of scissors but if you feel this is too dangerous then you can use Tim Holtz Distress Tool. I then added faux stitching around the edges of the papers with a brown fineliner pen.

Cut the base layer of paper for each panel to 3 7/8". Distress and add faux stitching and then adhere in place. You can cut all of these from one piece of paper.


Then the fun begins decorating each panel and creating the central focal diorama. I have added Crafty boards from ATC Overlays set, Heart Mandalas and Flowers sets. In addition I have added scraps of gauze and broiderie anglais type ribbon plus some paper flowers from my stash. 2 opposite panels have been created using the mandala chipboard cut in half. To keep the top panel flat I added scraps of cardboard to the back of it creating added dimension.


 


One of the remaining panels was created using chipboard flowers. I added a scrap of gauze, then the focal image mounted on cardboard before adding a scrap of lace on top, the chipboard flower and then flowers fussy cut from the papers.


 

For the final panel I created a pocket into which a gift card and/or message can be slipped.To make the pocket I cut a piece of cardstock3 7/8" long by 1 1/2 wide and then added a panel of paper on top leaving a border.This was adhered in place along 3 sides. I then added the topper being careful to only put glue on the piece that was going to be on the pocket. On top of the topper element I added chipboard flowers, gauze and then floral elements from the collection.
 


I then made a concertina album to place in the middle of the box. To make this element I covered  2 3" squares of mount board  with paper  cut to 3 1/2 square. The corners of the paper were mitred before the excess was folded round the sides of the mountboard. I then added a 3" square of paper to the reverse side trapping in some string on the back of the front cover as I did so. 


To make the concertina element I took an A4 piece of card stock and cut it into 2 3" strips. These were then scored at 3" intervals and the shorter end piece adhered to the back of the second panel removing the shorter panel of the second piece then gave me 6 "pages" to decorate. I adhered the concertina panel to the front and back panels.


The panels were then decorated with papers, gauze, ribbon and elements cut from the papers. I added chipboard feathers to some of the panels tucking them in behind some of the paper elements.


The album was then placed in the center of the box and more elements from the papers, gauze ribbon flowers and chipboard leaves from the flowers along with two bottles containing Burnt Umber and Bronze Glamour Sparkles. I also added some of the glitters to each panel of the box and the more dimensional pages of the mini journal.




The lid of the box was decorated with a mandala chipboard, gauze, paper elements, faux flowers with chipboard leaves. Finally some shabby ribbon and string was adhered around the top of the box using hot glue with a flower placed in the center of the bow. 




I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog this week, stay safe and enjoy some crafting time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook