Summer Solstice by Tracey Fairgrieve

11:00

Hello Everyone

It's Official the Season of Summer has arrived and today is the Solstice.

Here's my That's Crafty Summer Solstice creation...
Using Stonehenge as my inspiration.

Onto an 8x8 MDF Chunkie I painted the horizon, layering 
one colour on top of the other allowing the colours to merge.


I drew sarsen stones onto a piece of white board and cut them out.
A thick layer of texture paste was scraped onto the stone shape and painted in black.
Using a sponge I dabbed on white paint to replicate weathered stone.


More stones were drawn and painted directly onto the background,
their silhouettes depict part of the stone circle.


Not entirely happy with the dimensions of my focal stones.


...I added some sand paste and repainted in a similar way,
gluing the piece in place when dry.


My interpretation of Stonehenge is complete..


Stonehenge is one of the greatest prehistoric monuments in the world.. 
There will surely be lots of Summer Solstice celebrations taking place today.

Wishing you peace on the longest day.

Creative wishes
Tracey xx

Crafty Supplies:

That's Crafty MDF 8x8 Chunkie
That's Crafty White board
That's Crafty Multi Surface Paints:
That's Crafty Texture Paste
That's Crafty Sand Texture Paste
That's Crafty Multi Purpose Glue Pen

You Might Also Like

28 comments

  1. Your creation is PERFECT, Tracey! Thank you so much for the great tutorial, my friend. Kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful texture you created on your Stonehenge , amazing with the sand paste, dear Tracey ,your painting technique is fantastic !! and I wish I could go see it once- - also need to read a bit about this prehistoric place . You created a most beautiful Solstice over Stonehenge- and remembered me of the longest day, today :-) wi th your wonderful chunkie . Thank you for taking me there, dear friend- I send you hugs , and thank you for the email, you will soon hear from me :-) <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Dorthe. The pastes are so fabulous, we all agree. There is plenty to read up on regarding Stonehenge, it's magical xx

      Delete
  3. Tracey, this is such a wonderful way to celebrate the Summer Solstice. I just love your beautiful stone 'circle', it is amazing!!! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thank you Anne, it's always been a date to remember for me x

      Delete
  4. What a super piece of art, you’ve captured the essence of the summer Solstice brilliantly, unique art at its best
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Amanda, this one has been a work in progress for a while waiting for the day to sharing it x

      Delete
  5. A brilliant Stonehenge Tracey, looks even better than the real thing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about that but it's so kind of you to say, Thank you Jannet x

      Delete
  6. I love your stonehenge canvas and the fabulous tutorial Tracey !Happy Summer Solstice!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really amazing creation Tracey! So like Stonehenge and you're so clever to have made it look so real.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fliss, it's great to just have a play with paint and paste x

      Delete
  8. Brilliant. Love this canvas portraying stonehenge and your tutorial is awesome and interesting.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely fabulous Tracey, I've run out of words for how much I like this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to Stonehenge, but it is on my bucket list!!. When I do go I imagine it to be exactly like this!!.. beautiful dramatic sky, very ethereal and magical, you captured what I imagine the essence of Stonehenge to be perfectly. Have you actually been there Tracey, and if so, did it give you that feeling once again as you were creating your masterpiece?? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been since I was a child Jane, but would often travel past on route down to the coast depending on who the driver was. I have friends that could tell you a tale or two about their shenanigans at Stonehenge before it was closed off to the pubic becoming a regulated tourist attraction. Once seen from near or far it's a sight you will never forget xx

      Delete
  11. Just an amazing piece of art Tracey and it really does capture the mystery of that wonderful site perfectly
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is brilliant Tracy! We have been a few times and every time - even with the new visitor centre, it has a great atmosphere which you have captured here! Chrisxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so so much Chris, there are few places that hold such wonder but the atmosphere of Stonehenge is one that will last for a lifetime xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook