Tropical Rainforest Shrine by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hi there, I have a bright and jazzy ATC sized shrine to share this week, which was inspired by the new greyboard Hummingbird, which I really love. I saw him dipping into a flower and the rainforest theme popped into my head as the perfect setting.






Ingredients:


That’s Crafty! Surfaces Bits & Pieces Greyboard – Fairies and Hummingbirds, Small Funky Flowers 1, Small Butterflies
That’s Crafty! Shimmer Paints – Charcoal, Dark Blue, Green, Purple, Orange
That’s Crafty! Multi Surface Paint – Black, Green, Chestnut Brown, Red, Yellow
Small Embossing Ball Tool


Recipe:


I first gave all the pieces a coat of white gesso. I then used the modelling paste on the frame and the back section, forming a vine like pattern on the frame and giving the back section some vine like textures.

I painted the frame with a mix of diluted Chestnut Brown, Green and Black Multi Surface Paint, then added in some highlights with the Charcoal Shimmer Paint.

I next painted the front areas of all the box back sections with a mix of Purple, Dark Blue and Green Shimmer paints, adding some shadow detail under the vines with Charcoal and Purple. Once everything was dry, I stuck all the sections together using a glue pen and fixed the decorated frame on the front.


I painted my hummingbird, a flower and some butterflies with a mix of the shimmer and multi surface paints until I was happy with the effect.







I then made my tropical leaves by painting a piece of mixed media paper with green and gold paints. I drew rough leaf shapes on the reverse and cut my leaves out. I added veins with a ball tool and made them stand out with a dark green pencil. I then shaped the leaves a little with my fingers and added some highlights with gold and orange.






I glued the flower and hummingbird on the back section, using silicone glue for added dimension. I then glued on the butterflies and leaves (plus a couple of orangey shaded die cuts made with the Tim Holtz Garden Greens set from my bits box) with the same glue until I was happy with the effect.

There you have it – one tropical rainforest!


We have a great new challenge for you today over at That’s Crafty! Challenge Blog so do hop over and check it out to see how you can win a great prize just for entering.


Have a great weekend and see you next week.

Fliss x

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Such amazing wooden background on the shrine Fliss, and I love your leaves, they look gorgeous, together with your exotic hummingbird ,and the flower. Fantastic colors together , too.
    Hugs Dorthe, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dorthe, so glad you like it and I really enjoyed creating this too.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
    2. Love it Fliss. Sweet little bird and I love those leaves.
      Bev. x

      Delete
    3. Thanks Bev, so kind and I've been practicing my drawing skills, the leaves made an easy start!
      Fliss xx

      Delete
  2. Fliss,this is so pretty and love the bird.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynne, much appreciated.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful tropical colours, it’s lovely
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, made on a dull day so tropical colours were just the tonic.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
  4. Love this really colourful and cheery creation Fliss, it makes me smile :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna, think I'm now back in my brighter zone.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet make Fliss, the Hummingbird looks so at home near the flower full of nectar. Love your hand drawn leaves they frame it all perfectly within the Shrine, as pretty as a picture.
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tracey. I really loved making the leaves and wanted something bright and zingy to cheer a dull day.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
  6. Stunning! Gorgeous colours and so much detail, love it! Thank you for your comments and your kind thoughts too! Hugs xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Chris, so kind and hope things are better for you now.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
  7. This is gorgeous Fliss, so many fabulous details xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue, so kind of you and glad you like it.
      Fliss xx

      Delete
  8. Lovely shimmering colours - and I love the hummingbird!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook