Little Rabbit by Gill Humphrey

11:00


For my blog post this week I have chosen to work with some of the lovely new rice papers that are in stock - the harlequin background and one with lots of small vintage rabbit images. To complete this project you will need two of the background papers.

The base for my project is a large MDF matchbox which was assembled with Multi Purpose Glue before painting all surfaces with Ivory paint. Once the paint had dried I cut the background rice papers to size and patched the pieces together to allow a continuous pattern around the outer sleeve of the matchbox. The rice paper was adhered and sealed with Rice Paper Glue which gives a matte finish and protects the paper long term. You could of course varnish the piece for further protection if you choose. 

I also added rice paper to the outside edges of the draw that sits inside the sleeve again collaging pieces together to cover the surfaces without the need to buy a third piece.

 

For the decorative element on the top of the box I used Amazing Casting Resin to make the oval frame in the Vintage Ladies mould. Once set the frame was painted with Bonding Primer and left to dry. The gold colour for the frame was created by mixing Pigment Fix with Antique Gold Metal Pigment to create a paint which was then added to the frame.

Whilst the frame was drying I used the rice paper glue to attach my chosen image from the rabbit rice paper to a piece of white card and left it to dry. The paper was then attached to the back of the now dried frame with Express Glue ensuring I was happy with the placement of the rabbit within the frame before gluing this to the top of the box.  Once the glue had dried I used the Fineline Crackle over the rabbit image step one dry completely before adding step 2. Once step two had dried I brushed some of the antique gold metal pigment into the cracks before sealing the Fineline Crackle with a solvent varnish (do not be tempted to use a water based varnish for this as it will disturb the crackle.)


I have to say that I am really pleased with the elegance of this piece - sometimes you really don't need to add lots of embellishments for a beautiful result - definitely a lesson is less is more for me this time. I hope you have enjoyed reading about this make and if you are inspired to create please post your makes in the That's Crafty! Creatives Facebook group.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook