Let Your Hair Down by Amanda Southern

11:00

 Hi Everyone
This week I am continuing the Halloween theme, well it is October, and have done a double page spread in my small greyboard art journal. This week I take the Halloween theme into a more cute direction with the main image using one of Janet Kleins stamps for AALL & Create. 


Here's What I Did:

I started by selecting one of my paper from my Perfect Backgrounds Paper PackSset 2, as the sheet I chose had painted circles on it I positioned it so one of the circles became the moon. Where there ended up being colour I didn't want I brayered over in places with some black gesso and then added some purple to just break up the black. The fact that the greyboard art journal is only 3" x 5" allows you to position the paper easily. The paper was added to the page using That's Crafty! Multi Purpose Craft Adhesive, I brayer over the paper to smooth the glue out and this also removes any air bubbles. Now to start building up my scene. 


I know I wanted to use the Rapunzel stamp designed for AALL & Create by Janet Klein but needed to turn her into a witch, and every witch needs a witches hat and this came from the accessories set by Katzelkraft which fitted Rapunzel perfectly. All were stamped onto super smooth paper with Memento ink as I decided to do all my colouring with alcohol markers, Copics. Every self respecting Witch needs a pet cat which also came from a Janet Klein set along with the bird which you have to imagine is a cute crow. Once coloured they were all cut out ready to be added to the page once I had built up my scene. 

I wanted to add some trees and after checking any stamp I have of a tree I settled on using one of the tree stamps designed by my team mate Lynne. Now these tree stamps designed by Lynne are solid stamps and the branches were going in the wrong direction, thinking cap now goes on!! As this is a solid stamp I stamped out the stamp, cut it out and then turned it over and coloured the reverse side with seedless preserves distress oxide and then layered over that some black soot distress ink to blend over the oxide. I drew some bark markings onto the tree with a black fine liner pen. I then cut the tree lengthways so I could use it on both sides of my pages.


I wanted also to add some bats so went for the That's Crafty! Bats stencil, however I wasn't sure where I wanted them so using That's Crafty! Black Texture Paste I stencilled them onto a piece of acetate so I could cut it into pieces and add where I needed. I decided that the background needed a little contrast and I love adding numbers to my projects so I used one of my favourite number stamps which comes again from an AALL & Create stamp set Brush Flower designed by Tracy Evans. This I stamped and heat embossed in white. The white was a bit in your face so I toned it down by blending over some black soot distress ink and then polishing it off.

Now just to put it all together and build my scene, first I added the pieces of acetate I cut with the bats on, then my trees and then my characters grounding them into the scene onto a piece of torn washi tape. I highlighted the tree with a white pen to simulate the light from the moon catching onto the branches.
The sentiment, which is also from the Rapunzel set, was heat embossed onto black card, the additional words come from Tim Holtz /Halloween Remnant Rubs but I had to use some individual letters to make up the word Be.

Here are the pages now added to my journal



Here's What I Used:
Distress Oxide Ink Pad - Seedless Preserve
Distress Ink Pad - Black Soot
Versamark Ink Pad (back in stock soon)
Tim Holtz Halloween Remnant Rubs (This is a different version that I used)
Washi Tape came from my stash but loads HERE
Super Smooth Card
Copic Markers
Acetate
Memento Ink Pad Black

Have a great week and I'll see you all next Tuesday
Love
Amanda X

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Just love this!!!! So cute and quirky!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this darkest of dark shadowy nights, beautifully done to create the atmosphere. The witch looks far too cute and innocent to be out alone on night like this!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very spooky and atmospheric spread Amanda. Fabulous layers and very clever stamping technique too.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook