At Night I Have Wings by Lynne Moncrieff

11:00

Hello


A few weeks ago, I shared a Chunkie HERE featuring a hand-carved stamp. Well, it was time to ink up that bird stamp once again, this time as the focal on a collage which I could not resist teaming with the quote I selected from PaperArtsy EAB set.

You will often see me work on cotton rag/watercolour paper and then adhere to an MDF panel. Why I always like a stock of the MDF panels is because they are such an amazing substrate to have to hand to work on as they are but I also like them for collages worked on with paper to give substance to the completed project.

Supplies

That's Crafty! Surfaces MDF Panel 6" x 6" Pack of 3
That's Crafty! Stencil A4 Circles TC40002
That's Crafty! Pearl Inks: Black, Tree Bark
That's Crafty! Multi-Surface Paints: Grey, White Black
That's Crafty! Medium - Gesso White
That's Crafty! Walnut Ink Crystals
That's Crafty! Multi-Purpose Craft Adhesive 
PaperArtsy Eclectica EAB11 Designed by Alison Bomber
Speedball Carving Kit (for carving bird) 
Archival Ink Jet Black 
Extras: watercolour/cotton rag paper, Black Watersoluble Pencil

Instructions

Apologies for not having any stepped out photos to share of this collage.

First, as always, I prep the MDF with Gesso. As I've said countless times, this is my preference.

Onto the paper, Gesso was randomly applied, I like this for providing interesting texture when paints are applied. Talking of which, paints were  applied. Not that I don't care but I like to take a fluid approach when I apply media. Alongside the paints, also applying walnut ink (decanted into spray bottle) and Pearl Inks, then stepping away to allow to air dry.

I already had the circles cut out, leftover from other projects, paper prepared with That's Crafty! products and then stencilling with the wonderful A4 size Circles stencil.


The hand-carved bird is quite a large stamp surface and I wanted a sense of texture to appear so I applied the ink with a lighter hand towards the centre of the stamp and stamped onto paper which had a tooth to it ( Red Rosin paper painted with Gesso and That's Crafty! paints to a diluted consistency).  The image then fussy cut.


Beginning to assemble, the paper panel, adhered to the MDF panel, with the large circle central before adhering the bird and smaller circle. With the black watersoluble pencil and water, I darkened the area around the circles, especially the larger circle.

Onto scrap paper, the quote from PaperArtsy EAB11, again with definition with the pencil.


Please keep safe no matter where in the world you call home and although it is the most unsettling of times, here's to you possibly finding solace in arts/crafts, even if all you snatch is moments here and there.

Lynne x

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. So beautiful Lynne. The background is gorgeous for that amazing bird who looks fabulous with the textured effect.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's magical - and could have been made for those words!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook