The Journey is the Destination by Gill Humphrey

11:00


For this make I started with a 6" x 12" deep canvas and decided I would make a very mixed media piece with out using any decorative papers! - I know that's quite unusual for me but I really wanted to focus on using some of the moulds that are in the shop.

I started by preparing my moulded pieces. For the bricks I used airdry clay and the Made of Bricks mould. For the light bulbs I used my go to Amazing Casting Resin and the Vintage Lightbulbs mould and the birds were cast with resin and the Clockwork Sparrows mould


To start with I adhered the bricks in place and then added metallic paint from the Rust Effect Paint Set as shown above.


Next I applied crackle glaze to the back ground and left it to dry before adding black paint over the top of everything. Whilst the crackle glaze was drying I used black primer paste to the resin pieces and left them to dry.


To add colour to my piece I used the blues from the Pentart Patina Effect Paint Set to the moulds and backgrounds using a dry brushing technique and building up the layers until I liked the result.
 

The bulb parts of the light bulbs,  feet and beaks of the birds were then painted with Pigment Fix mixed with gold metallic pigment. It is important to mix small quantities of the pigment fix/powder combination as it dries quickly and can not be saved for subsequent projects. I did not listen to my own council and had a lot left over which I then used to add splashes to the background. 

I adhered the bulbs and sparrows in place and then added Turtle Green wax to the brids and Silver to the light. A little Gold metallic wax was then added to both the bulbs and cog areas of the birds before finally adding my title with a sticker from my stash. I have to say I love all the layers and texture on this piece and now just have to find it a home.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook