Oh Sweet Rusted Butterfly! by Liz Wheeler

11:00

Happy Monday That's Crafty Creatives!

Today I am back with another rusty project, this time a beautiful rusty card using Katzelkraft Winged Butterflies stamp set13 Arts Industrial Zone 6x6 papers, the Rusted Metal Kit from DecoArt, the new Uncharted Mariner Embossing Glaze and Distress Oxide from Tim Holtz and the waste MDF bits from the Dinky Art Shrine Kit that I used in a previous post.


I started off with a white card blank measuring 6 inches wide by 8 inches long, and I cut an additional piece of card measuring 2 and a half inches wide by 8 inches long. 

I applied the base colour 'Tin' from the DecoArt Rust set to the long strip, one of the frame shapes from the waste of my Dinky Shrine kit and another mini waste piece that would work for my greeting and let them dry. I then applied a mixture of the 'Clay' and 'Texture Sand' from the kit to various areas of the pieces, again letting them dry. Finally I added a watered down application of the 'Asphaltum' over random areas to create a fabulous rusty texture. 





For the focal point of the card, I stamped the largest butterfly from the Katzelkraft Winged Butterflies stamps onto white card twice, using the gorgeous new Uncharted Mariner Distress Oxide, then embossing them with the matching distress glaze. I coloured the white areas of the two butterflies using the Clay and Asphaltum paints from the Rust kit and cut both out. 




For the base card I applied swirls of the Distress Oxide with a blending brush, then spritzed with a little water and dried with my heat tool. This created a cloud like effect. 


For the mini frame, I cut a piece of the Industrial Zone papers and glued to the back, having first lightly brushed the paper piece with the distress oxide to tie in with the base card. I cut some spare pieces of mountboard I had and layered a couple of strips to the back of the frame, so that it was slightly raised from the surface of the card. I then glued the long strip to the left side of the card and positioned the frame so it overlapped the strip and the base card.

On the back of one of the butterflies, I layered small pieces of scrap mountboard as I had done with the frame to add some depth and stuck this down onto the frame. For the second butterfly, I gently curled the wings back and applied glue just down the body of the butterfly and stuck on top of the first.

Finally I added a greeting from the Industrial Zone cut apart sheet from the 6x6 inch paper pack onto the mini rusty plaque and glued to the bottom right of the card.





A fairly quick project and one to suit men or women for a quirky rusty effect card. Alternatively you could mount this in a frame for a piece of home decor to add to your wall. 

I hope you enjoyed today's project - and remember to have a good look at those 'waste' pieces, as they may just be what you need to finish your project!

Happy Crafting x 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. wow Liz yet another brilliant project, love this, this would also be good as a good notebook cover. love it. and thank ypu for your clear instructions

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook