Seahorse Fossil by Anne Redfern

11:00

Hello Everyone!

Do you ever have those days (weeks) when nothing you plan goes right?  My Guest project this week is nothing like the one I planned but as time was running out, I changed it completely!


I always intended to use the seahorse stamp set and the new Seth Apter Baked Velvet Texture Powders and so this came together (in the end!).

Here's how I created it:


I started off with one of Laura's fantastic ATC Art Shrines and constructed it, painted it on the outside with Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Paint in Turquoise. For the inside I took a piece of watercolour paper and coloured it with PaperArtsy Infusions - A Bit Jaded colour.  The frame (above) went a bit wrong so just ignore that for the moment!


The turquoise was a little bright for my liking so I took Dina's paint in Umber and used my fingers to randomly cover the shrine and painted the frame in the same colour.

Before assembling I sanded the whole of the outside of the shrine and also the frame, to give a 'distressed' look.


Here is where I changed completely, my stamped and embossed seahorse did not go to plan and so I got out my melt pot and mixed all three colours of Seth's Baked Velvets, poured them out onto my heat resistant mat and stamped the seahorse skeleton stamp into the molten liquid, using Black Archival Ink. Hold in place for a moment or two and then remove the stamp. It was a risk because I was not sure that the polymer stamp would take the heat but it did, so a great result for me! 

 Note: This method works well with most red rubber stamps, so if you do try this with one of your polymer stamps, it is always wise to to a 'test' first on one of the small stamps (like I did with the word) and be careful, the molten liquid is VERY hot! 

To finish off the frame I added a word band. I highlighted the number with the turquoise paint.


The colours of the Baked Textures are gorgeous and the textures of each colour is slightly different, the result was a marbled look that reminded me of Jade, and so my 'fossil' emerged. I loved it. The Baked Textures are available in Laura's shop in different colour combos, I think I need them all now!

Products Used:

Sanding block - from my stash
Tim Holtz Word Band - from my stash

Thanks so much for your visit, it is much appreciated.
Crafty wishes, Anne xx

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. Wow!! This is stunning Anne! The frame is fabulous and I love the background too. The seahorse is simply stunning!! Melting the Baked Velvets and stamping into it was absolutely brilliant! What a great result .. it really does look like a fossil! Absolutely magical piece!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever! I must try this technique in the near future, thank you for the inspiration Anne! And you know there is nothing better than being able to artistically change our minds and go with what is working :) Gorgeous make my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a happy little accident when you detoured from your original plan, Annie, because this is exactly like a beautiful piece of jade with a fossilized seahorse! Especially since it is inside that little box which a real-life looking curator's number attached!! You are brilliant, period! Hugs, Darnell xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful Anne, I love the effect with the stamped EP, the colours are perfect for Jade :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant effects and design Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A happy accident is always magnified when it turns out as fabulous as this Anne. Don't those colours look incredible mixed together. What a treasure of a creation!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fantastic faux fossiled piece, Anne. Loving the mix of the med BT's and your seahorse is the perfect stamp to cast within.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a happy accident - your seahorse is completely magnificent! I love the depth of colour both of that beautiful moulded plaque and of the interior ocean depths of the shadow box. Brilliant as always.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another amazing fossil Anne and the colours on this one as just stunning.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever! Way to make it work!!
    And so pretty. I love ocean themed projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!! This looks amazing ... glad you stuck with it Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous artwork! Love that seahorse 'fossil'. Great idea to stamp into the heated powders--so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Days like you describe..? - most days!! But you still came out on top with this wonderful project, I just love the way you make these little fossil shrines, they look so tactile - brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook