Steampunk Tag by Amanda Southern

00:00



As I said last week I love the extra large MDF Tags by That’s Crafty!, so much so I have just had to use one again for my post this week. This week it’s all gone grungy and steampunk so hope you like it?






Here’s what I did:-


Starting with the largest of the MDF tags by That’s Crafty! I gave it a couple of coats of black gesso. When dry I stencilled through the That’s Crafty! Dinky COGS stencil with black embossing paste, I stencilled through it 3 times to cover this large tag. Once the paste was completely dried (I always leave this several hours). I added my first layers of grungy colours using metallic Pan Pastels. I then sealed the pan pastels with a quick burst of cheap hairspray.

I then needed to add a rusted look so first roughly smeared versamark embossing ink over the cogs and then added a copper and blue embossing powders then melted them with a heatgun. The embossed area’s just looked a little shiny so I dulled them down with similar paint colours, applied with my finger, so that the finish was more of a matt finish with some of the shinny parts popping through.



close up of the cogs



Down the left hand side I stamped with Versamark and used the same embossing colours. To finish the background, I added the top of an old tap, for some reason I have acquired a collection of these.

Now to add my embellishments to the tag. I stamped this fabulous man and old tap onto thick white card with black Archival ink. I then coloured with Distress inks picking out the heart with a red Distress pen. I then gave them a cracked look which I haven’t done this technique for ages but this is how you do it.

Cover your image with Versamark ink and totally cover with clear embossing powder, I’ve used ultra thick crystals, melt and then repeat a couple more times (I’ve done 3 in total you may need to do more if using a fine clear embossing powder) Once the last layer has been applied let them cool a little then pop them into the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes. As soon as you take them out of the freezer bend the card to crack the embossing powder layer to get fabulous cracks. To further enhance the cracks, I rubbed in antiquing cream and when dry buff it off the embossing and it leaves a great effect in the cracks.



Here you can see the cracked effect I have given him



I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of card, cut out, gave a touch of Distress ink and added to my tag to finish.


What I Used:-


That's Crafty! Dinky Stencil - Cogs (new release - coming soon!)
Pan Pastels – Metallics Copper, Bronze, Turquoise
Pan Pastel Sponges
Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powders – Ancient Copper, Blue Watercress Blaze (or similar)
Rust Coloured Paint (I used Rust paper paint from Viva Décor)
Distress Inks – Vintage Photo, Antique Linen
Tap Top
Hairspray
Stamps used are all from Carabelle Studio and are:- Man & Bird, The Heart has its Reasons, Texture avec des Chiffres & Metre Steampunk


Thanks and I’ll see you next Tuesday

Love

Amanda X

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Love the rust effect, great tag Amanda! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes of course we like it because its steampunk at its best ;)
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you never cease to inspire me Amanda. AMAZINGLY STEAMY!!!! FABULOUSLY PUNKY!!! RUSTY as Old NAILS!!!! It's really fun and wonderful! j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - love the rusty verdigris look on those textured cogs, and the images are brilliant - especially that cracked tap - how cool!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really stunning Amanda! Amazing texture and depth of colour and that tap looks almost real too! Fabulous!
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous creation.
    Every detail is wonderful.
    The colors really speak to me too.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours and the texture, great tag x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook