Winter Wishes by Lynne Moncrieff

11:00

Hello


For my final post for 2019, I wanted a project which would nod to the season of winter.
I found myself in a strangely indecisive place. Although I rarely have a set plan, for this I found myself in a quandary as to the focal for the project. I deliberately pulled away from reaching for leaf stamps, finding myself leaning towards a quote as the focal and then my eye caught a particular PaperArtsy stamp set, designed by Everything Art. It suddenly clicked into place!

                                                                Winter Wishes

Supplies

That's Crafty! Surfaces MDF Chunkies 8" x 8" Pack of 2
That's Crafty! Pearl Ink: Silver
That's Crafty! Multi-Purpose Craft Adhesive
That's Crafty! Surfaces Rice Paper
That's Crafty! Medium - Gesso - White
PaperArtsy Eclectica Cling Stamps EEA05
13Arts Natural Mica Flakes Fine Silver
Archival Ink Jet Black
Extras: Cotton Rag Paper, Re-cycled Packing Paper, Twig, Sewing Machine

Instructions

First step, assembling the Chunkie. That's Crafty! MDF is always cut so cleanly that assembling such a project is so simple and of course, I used the That's Crafty! Multi-Purpose Craft Adhesive.
As always, my choice is to prep a surface with white Gesso, even though I would subsequently cover the MDF with cotton rag paper.

Gesso was also applied to two sheets of cotton rag paper and to various (white) packing paper I rooted out.

Once the cotton rag was dry, I misted one panel with water, prior to applying the Silver Pearl Ink.  The subtle area of wash, was of course eventually covered up but that doesn't trouble me too much!  Splatters of the Pearl Ink were then added to this panel and to the second panel.

With the Pearl Ink, I also made marks on scraps of paper: That's Crafty! Rice Paper, handmade paper and re-cycled packing paper, also a piece which previously had Pearl Inks in Bronze and Tree Bark applied.

(Please excuse quality of photos. I considered not sharing them but it gives you an idea of my process)


Here, a piece of corrugated cardboard was used for mark making. 


More mark making.


Taking pieces to the sewing machine, they were machine stitched onto the rag paper panel.


The panel was laid aside for the moment, to turn attention to stamping. I decided to spell out Winter Wishes using the PaperArtsy stamp set. With black ink, each letter was stamped onto the prepared second sheet of rag paper. When stamping the letters, allowing for enough space to cut out the individual letters.


After stamping the letters, with a fine paintbrush, I filled in with the Silver Peal Ink. 


After abrading the edges, the Pearl Ink was swiped around edges of each cut out letter.


To embellish the Chunkie, all I wanted was one twig but it needed to be "lifted" and become more wintry in appearance, 13arts Natural Mica Flakes were the perfect addition.


This product could so easily go under the radar but I like it as an alternative to glitter and works beautifully for adding a hint of sparkle to natural elements for this time of the year.


It was time to bring the project together. The stitched rag paper panel was adhered to the Chunkie with a strip adhered to each edge..


The letter tiles were adhered to the front of the Chunkie, adding more of the pieces of prepared papers with the mark making.


I love loose, trailing threads, so allowed the thread ends to hang over the edge.


Twig adhered to right side.


That's Crafty! Blog will be taken a break for the festivities, so this is my final post for 2019. Another year which has flown so quickly.

Thanks to those who have taken the time to stop by and see what I have been getting up to creatively throughout this year and for those leaving comments, it does mean a great deal to me. I am lucky to be part of the That's Crafty! D.T., which has been for a considerable time now and grateful for the privilege of creating a weekly project for this Blog. I have much to thank Laura and Graham for, including producing stamps again for me in 2019.

This can be "the most wonderful time of the year" but it can also be a difficult time for many. May you find light, love and joy even if facing the most difficult of moments.

Winter Wishes
Lynne

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook