Winter Bird Collage by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hello!

I have another mixed media collage to share this week, the perfect cool down if you have some rather hot weather as this time it's all about how to get a frosty, wintery effect.

What I did:

I used a white/greyboard circle as my substrate and the first step was to use the rather quirky tree snowflake with texture paste to create a raised area roughly in the centre of the panel. I then went to town with some flat matte sprays, using ochre, blackberry and walnut randomly on the surface until I was happy with the effect.

I was thinking of what I should use to embellish the collage when my eye fell on the rather grungy snowflake that I used for my steampunk bird collage shared last week. As I had pressed it into texture paste it, ended up with a rough grungy covering of the paste and would be perfect for this piece of artwork. I sprayed it with aqua, ochre and walnut flat matte sprays which gave a lovely patina like colouring and as you can see from the close up below, it looks as if it was crackled but I didn't use any crackle medium - result!


I stamped Melina's gorgeous bird image on smooth cartridge paper with black ink and heat embossed the image with clear powder. I coloured him up to resemble a cardinal using flat matte sprays as paint (ochre, tomato and walnut) and cut him out, just the bird this time and not the branch he's sitting on.

I felt the panel needed a little extra something so I misted on some of my new favourite lustre spray - frost - which added the perfect wintery finish.

I glued on the snowflake (did you notice the quirky spanner heads) and bird using dimensional glue and threaded some recycled sari silk ribbon through the top to finish (not showing here as I was in a rush to send off my samples!)

Supplies:



Have a great weekend and see you next week.

Fliss x

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Lovely festive make Fliss
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fliss, the lustre spray background is gorgeous and creates such a beautiful base for the patina coloured snowflake and the delightful bird! Love this. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elegant and also capturing a beautiful wintry feel - stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Fliss . The Lustre shimmery backdrop is gorgeous and as Lynne says gives the piece a lovely wintry feel x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook