A Little Bit Steampunk by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hello!

I hope you caught the shows on Hochanda yesterday where lovely Jo Channon was demonstrating some really amazing new products from That's Crafty! including some more gorgeous stamp and mask designs from Melina and new stencils and mediums from Laura and Graham which are definite must haves.

Rather than Christmas, I decided on my collage using one of the new grunge ornaments as I'm sure you know how much I love a bit of steampunk!

What I Did:

This is actually simpler to make than you might think as the starting point for my collage was a fairly thick layer of texture paste on the top panel. I then took the rather quirky spanner snowflake and pressed this into the texture paste a number of times to gain rough impressions. The snowflake ended up covered in texture paste and next week I'll show you what I did with this as it came in handy for another collage.

Once the paste was dry, I sprayed it liberally with flat matte sprays, using blackberry, ochre and walnut for a wintery look. I repeated this a couple of times, drying in between to deepen the colours. I then took my pot of acrylic wax and used a spatula to add some along the top, allowing it to run and drip down the panel. To my delight, it gravitated quite naturally through the grooves in the snowflake impressions and when it was dry, little cracks appeared, adding to the textured look.

Here are some close-ups so that you can see what it looks like in detail:





I then took the grunge ornament which I think looks like a birdhouse and sprayed it with blackberry and walnut flat matte sprays. I dabbed on antique gold and purple pearl inks with a brush and rubbed them in with my fingers for a grunged up look and glued this in place on my panel.

I stamped Melina's gorgeous bird on smooth cartridge paper with black ink and heat embossed it with clear powder. I coloured him up to resemble the cardinal bird I think he looks most like using flat matte sprays in ochre and tomato, adding a bit of detail with a purple marker. I cut him out and brushed him with 3D gloss gel before gluing him in place.


I added texture paste to the base, spraying as before and glued the top in place when it was dry.

Supplies:



If you missed the shows, there's always rewind and it's definitely worth a look for some wonderful inspiration from Jo and the Design Team.

Have a great weekend and see you next week.

Fliss x

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. The grungy textured background is superb Fliss and I just love the beautiful bird. I really enjoyed the shows and seeing all the beautiful samples! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful grungy background for Melina`s sweet bird, sitting there in your gorgeous created steampunk world - Wonderful to see the show , you have been so very busy.
    Hugs from Dorthe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice bit of grunge Fliss, your samples were fabulous
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great grungy effects , Fliss and a very effective way to create them . Terrific . x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fliss,
    There is such beautiful texture on this Upright and love the colours.
    Wonderful!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool grungy panel - I love the colours washing and dripping over all that scrumptious texture.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook