The Golden Spider by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hello!

I have another spooky piece of artwork to share this week and this one has a bit of a story behind it so read on to find out what happened when I was creating this.

Step By Step

As those of you that know me are aware, I have somewhat of a spider phobia so when opening up the parcel from Laura with the materials to create my samples last month, you can probably imagine the shriek that came out when I spotted MDF spiders in the kit! I know they're only MDF but I couldn't even bear to push them out of the backing and had to get my elder daughter to do it for me - eek!

This piece of artwork was inspired by a novel that's a favourite of mine which is how the spider became golden, then looking less scary although I managed to never actually touch it by using tweezers to hold the legs whilst painting it - that's how freaked out I get by things with 8 legs!

The background for my artwork was created by stamping tissue paper with a script texture stamp using black ink then tearing it into pieces and gluing to the upright section with That's Crafty! gloss medium which is a fab adhesive too.

I then misted the surface with flat matte sprays, using basil, ochre, orange, saffron and walnut, concentrating the darker colours near the top. 

I then had to think about how to add the spider web and hit upon the idea of putting paint (orange multi surface) directly on the stencil and pressing it down on the surface. This wasn't entirely successful due to the uneven surface so I repeated the step with embossing ink and heat embossed the pattern with detail silver embossing powder. I filled in any gaps with a silver Posca pen. I also used the pen to extend the web over the surface.


I painted the spider with metallic gold multi surface paint, not touching it at all as I held it by a leg with tweezers and glued it in place when dry.

I misted the base with the flat matte sprays to match and glued the top in place with That's Crafty! multi purpose adhesive.


Supplies:


Have a great weekend and hope I didn't scare you too much with this one!

Fliss x


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Great effect with the spiders web for a fabulous upright
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful autumnal background, and the golden spider looks very much at home on his fabulous cobweb.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook