Flowers in the Round by Helen Chilton

11:00

Do you ever get projects that turn out completely differently to what you'd planned? Well, this is one of them!



I knew I wanted to use alcohol inks, was going to use Yupo but changed my mind and used glossy cardstock instead. The inks do react differently on glossy to Yupo - the main difference is they tend to set quickly and stay put, so you can't play around with Blending Solution in the same way. However you can get a lovely build up of colours:



The Carabelle flowers are also stamped on glossy with the Memento inkpad and then coloured  in:



I thought the background was a little dark so decided to stencil over the top with the leafy mandala:



Then I scratched in a few extra doodle lines before the paint was too dry:



However, looking at it I decided I didn't like it so tried colouring over the top with coloured pencils:



I liked this effect much better - the paint provides a key for colouring:



Then I layered up my flowers adding a bit of curl here and there and outlined some of the stencilled pattern:



Add some Ranger enamel dots and some Tim Holtz words and there you have it:

That's Crafty! Surfaces MDF Rounds
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylic Paints: Teresa Green
Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink Cardstock

So, here are my flowers in the round. I actually enjoyed just going with the flow on this project and seeing where it took me. It looked a bit disastrous at one point, but there's usually something you can do to turn it around!

Helen

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Absolutely gorgeous round Helen. The coloured stencilling looks fabulous and is lovely against alcohol ink background.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful piece fo art on the round , Helen . Love the stenciling on the alco inks x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook