Butterfly Bubbles..... by Amanda Pink

11:00

Hi Everyone

Welcome to my weekly post as a Guest Designer here at That's Crafty!
I have an art panel to share with you today that began its life as a 'mop up' of surplus paint and a urge to try out a new stencil.


As you can see Red and Pink ??!! How those two paint colours ended up on my craft mat I have no idea as they are not my 'go to' colours and especially not when used together but somehow they did so at the end of a paint session I took a piece of mixed media paper, spritzed the surplus paint with water and pressed the paper into the painty 'puddles'. Once dry the piece got cast to one side before its ultimate destination would more than likely be the bin!
A few days later I wanted to try out one of AALL and Creates new stencils so I retrieved the 'mop up' piece and stencilled the design using Black acrylic paint. Liking the result I added some white highlights and scribbly doodling to the stencilled design aswell as some stamping.
Now the 'mop up' piece that was heading for the bin had taken on a new life and would be the background for my art panel.


Keeping with the circle design of the background stencil I created a central feature 


This is the sum of a few parts:
Four circles of varying sizes all stacked on top of each other.
The larger outer circle is a That's Crafty! MDF round painted with black acrylic paint and stenciled with That's Crafty! Texture Paste.
The middle circle is created from die cut circles, crackled using DecoArt crackle paint and touched with gilding wax to highlight the cracks.
The larger inner black circle is a black mountboard die cut with white pen marks and a silver eyelet (missing from pic- a late addition). 
The small circle is a chipboard circle painted with black acrylic paint.


The focal feature is a butterfly created from two of the butterflies from a 13arts paper pad. They were adhered to cardstock for extra strength, fussy cut, finger painted, detail stamped and manipulated to give them form before being adhered together. A broken cocktail stick treated with acrylic paint and embellished with a gem bead forms the thorax of the butterfly.


The butterflies' double set of manipulated wings add some dimension


with that dimension being enhanced even more when placed atop the stacked circles platform.


Needless to say the panel needed a solid base with some depth so its adhered to That's Crafty! MDF Surface.



Products I used 

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Amazing layering Amanda and so glad you kept the background as it's so striking with the black and white on top. The circles look fabulous with the gorgeous butterfly embellishment and the way you created the thorax is so clever.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, this is so amazing, a fantastic background for the circles, and I love the pink and red here, they compliment each other beautifully, on top of the black and white, and your butterfly is so gorgeous .
    Hugs Dorthe xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad this never made it to the bin, a masterclass in layering I absolutely love this Amanda and just need to touch all the fabulous texture.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely use pink and red more often, especially with the black and white, it is a very beautiful and very striking project. I just love how you layer up too! Another triumph Amanda!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the bright pink against the black Amanda, adds such drama to your creation
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you know me well enough to know I rarely use the word "stunning" when commenting on art. Yet I find no better word than stunning to describe this piece! Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours are so dramatic, and I love the layered dimensional elements - crackle and all.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook