Blossoming Flower by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Another fanciful flower creation from me this week, this time on one of the surfaces that I know will be a firm favourite of mine now, the That's Crafty! Chunkies! They can take a lot of texture as they're made from MDF and in this case had a lot of layers thrown at it.

Step by Step

I first painted all surfaces with black gesso and when dry, used texture paste with the distressed harlequin stencil to add a pattern to the front. As this stencil is 6.5 x 7.5, it fits the 6 x 6 size surface very well.

Once the paste was dry, I brushed on a coat of the crackle glaze. After allowing this to dry, I applied white multi surface paint over the top and hey presto! lovely crackle appeared.

I placed the stencil over the top of the texture paste pattern and sponged black gesso over the raised areas to give a strong monochrome contrast.


I then prepared my embellishments, using the matching white/greyboard sets for my stamps. I took my chosen flower and painted this with bright orange multi surface paint (plus a bit of lime for the flower stalk) and 3 of the flourishes which I painted with lime multi surface paint. The colours were chosen because when I made this I was longing for Spring which has taken so long to appear this year.


I stamped the matching images on the painted white/greyboard with black ink - you can either do this by putting the stamp on an acrylic block and stamping down after inking or you can put the stamp on a hard surface such as a glass mat (or the kitchen worktop!) then ink it up and press the painted shape into the stamp.

I painted a plaque with lime multi surface paint and stamped on the lovely Oscar Wilde quote with black ink. I then assembled the chunkie as you see, using dimensional glue to stick the embellishments on, ensuring that some were glued slightly off the edge as I think it pulls everything together well.

Supplies

That's Crafty! Clear Stamp Sets - Fanciful Flowers Sets 1 and 2
That's Crafty! White/Greyboard Matches - Fanciful Flowers Set 1 and Set 2
That's Crafty! Surfaces - MDF Chunkies 6 x 6
That's Crafty! 6.5 x 7.5 Stencil - Distressed Harlequin
That's Crafty! White Gesso
That's Crafty! Black Gesso
That's Crafty! Multi Surface Paints - Bright Orange, Lime
That's Crafty! White Texture Paste
That's Crafty! Crackle Glaze
Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink
Other - 3D Glue 

I hope you're all enjoying some sunny weather wherever you are.
Have a lovely weekend and see you next week.

Fliss x 

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Dear Fliss,
    a wonderful idea, with the crackle paste before using the gesso on top , it looks gorgeous,
    and the vibrant flower and green leaves ( I call them leaves ;-) are wonderful colors together.
    Such a beautiful creation.
    Hugs and happy weekend to you , friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely Fliss, the crackle looks amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very striking piece Fliss
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous background Fliss, doesn't the distressed harlequin stencil look amazing using black and white. Makes your flourishes really stand out from the magnificent chunkie.
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this Fliss, I just think the drama of the black and white background really makes a stunning backdrop. My favourite creation with your designs so far
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook