Something Fishy by Amanda Southern

00:00






Hi everyone,

Something fishy for you this week as I’ve played with the recently released Crafter's Workshop stencil “Mini Tribal Fish”.


Here’s What I Did:-


I started with a piece of Strathmore Mixed Media Card and the stencil. I dabbed Distress ink directly onto the stencil using a selection of colours of the mini Distress ink pads. The size of this ink pads work fabulously for this technique but always start with your lightest colour in order to not contaminate your ink pads. Once you are happy with your Distress ink coverage give the whole thing a light misting of water, don’t over saturate the stencil. I then carefully pick up the stencil and lay the stencil, coloured side down, onto the card smoothing over using kitchen paper which also picks up any seepage of colour.

The pattern or image of your stencil is now transferred to your paper with a lovely water colour effect. 






This close up shows how the Distress ink colours the fish.



For the background, again I used Distress ink this time using it as a water colour applying the ink to my craft mat and picking it up with a water brush or wet paintbrush.

When I was happy with all the colour I laid down the stencil again carefully lining it up and then with a black fineliner pen drew around the shapes of the stencil. Once done I removed the stencil and joined up all the gaps in the lines making the fish whole. To add further interest to my fish I doodled in the white gaps left in the stencilled fish. I got quite carried away with my doodling so added a matching doodled frame to it. I felt the fish just had to stand out a bit more so coloured all the edges with some matching colours using Spectrum Noir pencils. A sentiment from Tim Holtz Chit Chat Sticker Book finished it off. I then matted onto black card and added to a card blank.


What I Used:-


Mini Distress Inks – Various Colours
Kitchen Roll
Card Blank


Have a fabulous Easter and don’t eat to many eggs, actually eat loads and enjoy!!

See you next Tuesday

Love
Amanda X

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Brilliant! Great technique Amanda! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew little fish could look as fab as this?! Love the technique too
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great effect using the stencil in this way...all watery and just perfect. Thank you for the step by step and the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing fishy here just loveliness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fish are great - and the inky spotty look suits them beautifully.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really love that stencil. They way you've coloured them is so effective. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really gorgeous Amanda and I love how you doodled on the fish and that fab border.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning effect!
    I actually thought it was one large stamp before I read your instructions - amazing.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook