Today I would like to share with you the 2nd of my two pieces that I made to support
That’s Crafty! recent shows on Hochanda to launch several new products one of
which was this MDF lightbulb hanging.
Here’s What I Did:-
As this hanging is all MDF I first gave everything a coat of gesso, to get a really smooth finish I applied the gesso with a piece of Cut & Dry Foam. I then selected several PaperArtsy Fresco paints selecting a mixture of opaque and translucent colours starting with the lightest is the centre I built the colours up applying and blending in again using Cut & Dry Foam, I kept re-working all the colours until I had achieved the result I was looking for. I then added the darkness around the top piece using DecoArt Paynes Grey and a little black. The darkening on the edges of the lightbulbs has been created using the Paynes Grey diluted down and blended in using my finger. I then wanted to add a little more interest so using one of my favourite texture stamps I stamped on the crackle effect.
To create the top of the lightbulbs I first masked off leaving just the top that would be the screw part and smoothed on some DecoArt Texture Sand which I marked with the screw lines and then let it dry. Once dry I painted with the Paynes Grey and highlighted the screw grooves using a Liquid Chrome pen. The words on each of the light bulbs have been die cut and applied with matte medium.
Using a piece of mixed media card I brayered onto it the same colours I had used for the piece along with a couple of darker shades. On to that I repeatedly stamped the moth and the fussy cut them all out. I stamped the moth onto the MDF as well, this meant that I didn’t need to cut around the legs. The cut out moths were then glued over the stamped images. I then stamped the words onto the top piece, along with the little light bulb which the moths are all flying around. To make the little lightbulb stand out I stamped it onto white paper and just cut out the bulb and added it using matte medium along with a little bit of colour. The final touch was to cover it all with Glossy Accents. All was hung using black paper string.
Here’s What I Used:-
Black Paper String
Hope you like and see you all next Tuesday