Hi there, I’m really thrilled to be able to share with you all my album that I made for Monday’s Hochanda shows and I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed creating it. There was quite a bit of work involved but it’s something that you can really treasure so it’s definitely worth it. My tutorial is also a bit picture heavy so you might want a cuppa before you look!
Carabelle Studio A6 Stamps – Femme Neoromantique, Background Horloges
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Medium Grey Value 6, Burnt Sienna, Quinacridone Gold, Metallic Gold, Cobalt Teal, Metallic Silver
Extras – Metal Key, Small Kraft Envelope (such as a wages one)
For my album I chose to use 2 of the acrylic stacks for front and back covers to protect my decorated MDF inners but you could also use these separately to make another album or book – even as covers for an art journal with loose leaf pages.
I first gave both MDF pieces a rough coat of the grey acrylic, both front and back. I then used the cogs stencil and grunge paste to add a cog pattern in the corners of the front cover and randomly over the whole of the back cover.
When the paste had dried, I swiped on some ink with the ink dabber – the ink is quite thick and takes longer to dry – and heat embossed the areas with the bronze embossing enamel. I next sponged on the paint colours, using all except the silver on the front and back covers.
I then die cut some cogs and the cog corner from the die set twice from stamping card. I swiped the corners with Versamark ink and added random heat embossing with the gold detail powder. I added further colour with the teal paint.
I glued some of the altered cogs on to the front and back covers, blending them in by adding a little extra colour paint and antiquing creams. I added some to the reverse sides of the covers and adjusted the colours of these with the gold and silver paints.
I then made some pages using the Tim Holtz substrate sheets. I chose the kraft sheets and used these by folding up the bottom to form a pocket as I thought it would be good to be able to add photos, mementoes etc. in them. I stamped the clock background on the folded areas with the brown ink and then stapled the flaps down. I punched 3 holes in each to match those in the covers.
I added cog corners to 2 of the pages and then made decorations for them. I stamped the woman image on stamping card with the brown ink, coloured her then cut her out and glued her to one of the cog pages. I stamped the clock background on the black tag and heat embossed it with gold powder, then stamped the clocks on the kraft envelope with the brown ink. I added these to the remaining 2 pages.
Once you’re happy with all the elements, all that’s left is to assemble your book with the rings included in the kit. I added a key to the top ring but you could add a charm if you prefer. I added some letter stickers to both sides of the inner acrylic panel to spell steampunk. I also brushed gloss varnish over the front and back covers for some added shine.
Keep an eye out for some more fabulous creations from the Design Team as we continue to share our samples – they’re sure to inspire you!
Have a great day and a lovely weekend.