Monday, 16 June 2014

Declaration of Non Conformity by Deborah



 
 

 

My Mum bought me a small journal for my birthday and this is the first double page spread I've done in it. Although the pages are sturdy cartridge paper I still brayered some white gesso onto the pages first for extra strength and tooth. Then I began dabbing acrylic paints through the chevron and tag stencils, also flipping the stencils to stamp with them.

At this point I must tell you I had no idea where I was going with this.

After stamping the script, stars and arrows randomly and roughly outlining some of the chevrons and tags I drew round Sally (or maybe she's Carly) in black pencil, then filled her in with the Scarlet Big Brush Pen. It didn't look quite right so I outlined her with the white Sharpie.

On a separate sheet of paper I stamped the French postman (soldier?) with two stars. I was going to keep him in a white square and glue him onto the left hand page but then I decided to cut him out. I happened by chance to place him on top of Sally/Carly and he pretty much fitted so I thought 'why not?'

Hmm, now he's wearing a dress. This led me to use the chalkboard sentiment about not conforming. I suppose this fits in with using journaling to say something personal or profound and meaningful but really it all came about by accident. I just like to play!
 
 
Deborah

7 comments:

  1. amazing and I love his dress x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Debs! Fab pages and love the layered stencil design.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaw droppingly cool - this is amazing. Dramatic, passionate, political - I love it.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy accident it was because the use of the sentiment is thought provoking - a striking double spread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...