Monday, 15 April 2013

The Incredible Dream - A Shrine Made From Packaging by Deborah





They say ready meals are bad for you – that may be true but you can always find things to do with the empty packaging, even if it’s only to cut it up for ATC blanks.  When I saw Gail Milburn’s Bunny Shrine in the May issue of Craft Stamper, I turned to a discarded box that had housed a broccoli quiche as a way of making my own shrine without having to construct it from scratch. It even had a ready-made aperture.

Stamps used:
Inside:
Crafty Individuals Crafty Elements – Bird Branches and Cage CI-234
PaperArtsy Vintage Ink and the Dog ID02

Decoration:
Kaisercraft – Blae and Ivy
Claudine Hellmuth Creative Layers Clear Stamps: Domestic
Technique Tuesday - Incredible
Tim Holtz - Bitty Grunge


Dylusions Sprays in Greens, Blues and Yellows
Distress Paints: Mustard Seed, Salty Ocean, Mowed Lawn
Distress Stain: Broken China
Distress Ink: Broken China
Cobalt Archival Ink
Hero Arts Neon Blue
ProMarkers – Buttercup, Indigo
Heat Gun
Foam Tape, Double Sided Tape

Watercolour Pencils and Pastels
Tim Holtz Decorative Strip Die – Tattered Banners
Sandpaper 
 

First of all, I prised the seams of the box apart carefully and sanded the surface to help the inks and paints adhere. I sprayed the outer surface liberally with Dylusions inks, blotted once, sprayed again and then left the second application to dry naturally overnight.  It didn’t cover completely but that’s fine because then I added the distress paints and stain, smearing and blotting them with a piece of kitchen roll. Next I stamped randomly using Neon Blue and Cobalt inks. Please note - I used a heat gun to set the paints and inks as I went along.
I gave the other side (the inside) a couple of coats of Mustard Seed paint, swiped some Broken China over parts of the back then stamped the birdcage and branches from CI-234 in Cobalt. You can’t really see the birdcage unless you peer behind the figure but it all adds to the depth.
 
 
 
Time to decorate the outside of the shrine... I painted more packaging (the plain reverse side) with Mustard Seed Distress Paint, then stamped the Kaisercraft flowers and leaves, birds  and Prima dial in Cobalt, over-stamping with the scratchy stamp from Bitty Grunge in Neon Blue and Cobalt inks. I added more colour to the leaves with watercolour pencils and pastels and sketchy strokes with the dark blue ProMarker, then cut them out.

I cut some banners from the off-cuts of painted yellow card and added scratchy stamping. I cut them to fit and stamped the sentiment on the longer one, adding a little Broken China Distress Stain. Using a light touch I added a little dark blue Promarker to the edges.
I attached everything with double sided foam tape (just ordinary double sided tape for the dial). I also added an extra sprig to the inside.
I stamped the PaperArtsy girl in Cobalt on more packaging and coloured her with water colour pencils. Her skin was coloured with a Buttercup ProMarker. I judged where to fold her by eye, attaching her to the inside bottom flap with double sided tape.  To keep her upright I folded a piece of scrap card into three and attached one part to her back and another to the back of the box (something else I did by guessing).
I reassembled the box using double sided tape. I decided to use the top flap as a pediment, which is why I added the dial, cut-out leaves and used the same leaf stamp either side of the dial. Where the flap would have been I added a strip of card, painted with the same colours as the rest of the box.
 
 


Deborah

10 comments:

  1. wow fantastic idea. great shrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to use the packaging, makes an excellent shrine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow fab idea and it looks terrific, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab make, I love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic piece Deb, great recycling!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely brilliant, great recyling, so inventive, and brilliant layering and colouring. Love it!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a brilliant piece of recycling and such a gorgeous creation!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a clever Idea Deb & the end result is brill!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...