Monday, 8 April 2013

Beach Hut Birthday by Deborah



 


Card:



It’s my friend Jude’s birthday next week. Last year she bought herself a beach hut, a bolthole on the Suffolk coast - and since then has gone beach hut crazy (she buys anything seaside-y).

Sometimes it pays to keep it simple and this card couldn’t be simpler.  The only difficult thing (for me) is stamping straight and keeping the card clean. As it is only ink and card you can always do it until you get it right. Amazingly I did it first time – yaaay!

I folded some heavyweight white card into an A6 tent card, and stamped the row of beach huts and the sentiment with black archival ink. I also stamped a couple of the beach huts on a spare scrap of card, drying with a heat gun before carefully colouring one in with the ProMarker .Archival ink can bleed if you don’t heat it – and even then you still have to be careful, so you could use any other colouring medium at your disposal.

I cut two small strips from the roll of foam tape and stuck one on top of the other for depth and attached it over the corresponding beach hut.
 
 

Bookmark:

We don’t exchange presents but I made Jude a seaside themed bookmark. The circus performer reminded me of those hardy people who think nothing of bathing in the sea in the middle of Winter, all iron will and physical jerks.

I purposely inked him in neon blue without properly cleaning the black off the stamp first, which gives a grungier effect. I did the same with the sentiments (the top one from CI-278, the bottom from PaperArtsy).

After colouring him in with Promarkers, I masked him and stamped the sea gull and sand from the Create a Scene stamp set. I used an ink duster to lightly stipple some colour around him with Distress Inks.

Lastly, I edged the bookmark with the Tea Green, Cornflower and Indigo Promarkers.
 
Deborah

14 comments:

  1. fantastic... i couldn't work out where the vintage swimmer was from. very clever! She'll love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed I typed iron 'wheel' instead of 'will' - d'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she's gonna love them both....and to think you told me once you couldn't do clean and simple, think you nailed it (and first time too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely card... I'm very envious of the beach hut!.... And a man with a bird on his head..... Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love simple looking cards :) thought they aren't really that simple, great card
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make clean and simple look easy!! I'd love a beach hut of my own...your card makes me feel that summer might come after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card Deborah (well done on keeping it clean!) and that bookmark is fabulous. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This CAs card is right up my street and Mr Muscle with the bird on his head makes a fab bookmark that would make me smile every time I opened the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both fantastic images... love the CAS card - the single coloured shed is so delightful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The CAS style works so amazingly well with those stamps.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  11. The card is fabulous and I love the bookmark!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...