Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Poster on a Brick Wall with Poppies by Alan Scott



 


I wanted to this project where the background played just as a bigger part as the stamped image. The stamp is from my new MUST HAVE stamp designer Lynne Perrella and is Collection 013 by PaperArtsy. I chose this time to work on a enlarged tag that I cut from my Silhouette machine.
 

MATERIALS USED:

Gare Finger Metallics Kit - 2
Baby Wipes

 

LETS MAKE A TAG!

The first thing to do is to - yes you have guessed it gesso! By doing this on the surface, it will allow you extra time when it comes to manipulating paint. The tag was cut out from a cardboard envelope that came from That's Crafty! when some crafting goodies were sent to me. So waste nothing! 

While the Gesso was drying, I took the selected stamp and then using the Pitch Black ink, I stamped twice onto the paper I had picked out. The reason for doing this, was I wanted the face to be raised from the surface of the 'poster', to give some extra detail. The image was then coloured using a selection of the ProMarkers.

When the Gesso had dried, I laid down some colour. Using straight from the bottle, place streams of the ink right from the nozzle. Then using a wet brush, start to manipulate the colour. You can remove areas using a baby wipe. What you're after is the impression that the wall has been painted but over time has become weathered. Repeat the same with the top section. I used the holes in the tag to give me separate layers. Next, I mixed in the middle using a wet but dry brush and started to mix in both colours. You're after a soft line, once again you can use baby wipes to help you. If you want more depth of colour, just add a few 'blobs' and mix that into the surface. When you're happy, the next part is to give even more definition and depth. This is where the finger metallics came into play. You can use other methods like Rub'n Buff creams. These are used to give a more earthy feel and that feeling of rustic.
 
When I was happy with the overall depth of colour, I took the wall mask and using a blending tool and the London Fog, I carefully gave a light colour so it would look like a brick wall but it didn't take away the hard work that had gone into making the bottom layer. Once I had given the 'brick wall' a quick blast from my heat gun, I wanted to add extra detail. So using the clock and the splat templates, I coloured through them using the Sepia Ink Pad. To make things a bit different, I inked up a pad and gently over inked the splat mask, so that it had separate coloured highlights. You don't want your over treatments to be flat when you have gone to a lot of time and effort to make the layers underneath full of colour and definition. Carefully over inking can give the feeling of depth.

Now then, let's add our poster. I cut it out from the paper with a pair of scissors. I didn't bother about it being perfectly cut, as I was going to distress the edges with the same pair of scissors. Then taking the other stamped image, I on this occasion took time and carefully cut the face out of the stamped image and with the help of dimensional tape, I secured the face on top of the secured poster. Using the dark grey pen, I made lines down one side to give the feeling of depth. I didn't go all around the image, I just highlighted it. 

All that's left to do now, is to take the poppy mask and with the help of the red and green markers, colour in the parts needed. Carefully lift the mask off, as the marker can run if you're not careful. A quick blast of the heat gun will aid in the fixing of the colour.

There you have it, a tag that's been made using a single stamped image but the work that's gone on under the stamped image plays a big part of the project.
 
Alan

2 comments:

  1. Lovely creation Alan. A clever idea and the brick wall background is a great backdrop for all the additional stamping and stenciling.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...