Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Haute Couture by Alan Scott






I wanted to do something different and try a project which was more like what I would like to expand upon. There is a collection of materials used that I have added to my crafting goodies box over a period of time. So what I will do is give you a list of what I used so that maybe you can make a tick sheet of items you would like to add yourself.
Now then there is a FREEBIE with this project. I designed a Union Flag styled grunged paper. The set contains a coloured, black and white, several hue shades as well as some gradients.
 
 

Click here to be directed to the folder where you can download the papers. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE......
Don't sell them as your own designs be that in a pack, selection of papers, single paper or as a file, in any way shape or form. You can sell your projects using the design and there is no limit on how many you sell, as long as its part of a crafting project.

 

MATERIALS USED:
 
I used a downloaded paper 7" x 5", paper frame and swirls, which were cut out using my Silhouette Machine
Spellbinders Dies - Gears - Butterfly's - Bees and Dragon Fly's - Corners from a filigree die set
Rolled Up Flowers Die
Tim Holtz Dress Form Die plus die cutting machine
2 sheetsof white 12"x12" paper for the frame
A4 sheet bronze mirror card
PaperArtsy Stamp Set - Hot Pick 1205
Good strong clear glue
A5 white stamping paper
Archival Ink - Jet Black
Selection of watch parts (search around, you can buy them by the weight)
Metal butterfly used as a corset (another idea is use Metal Hangers and a dress embellished and cut out instead of the dress form)
Clear embossing powder
Metallic embossing powders
WOW Verdigris powder 
Stampendous Embossing Enamel - Shabby Green
C
osmic Shimmer Embossing Powders

Ranger Emboss It Dabber
Perfect Medium Pens - Clear

Craft Mat
Cutting Mat

Sharp Tipped Scissors
Metal Edged Ruler
Tweezers
Selection of Water Brushes
Craft Knife
Heat Gun

Selection of acrylic paints to give your frame a grungy, aged look 

LETS MAKE A CRAFT PROJECT!!!!
Before I set about writing the 'How 2 Make', I have to firstly say 2 things. I understand that not everyone has an electronic die cutting machine and they may not have access to Spellbinders dies etc.  That's why when I make a project, I will always if I can, give you an alternative method so that you can join in and make your own version of a project. The materials will remain the same and I will always give you a link so that you're able to buy items that I have used.
 
Now then, the frame. You might not have a machine so on your next trip to a car boot or the charity shop, keep your eyes open for a frame that has a bit of depth to it. All you then have to do is sand it down and if you have joined in with my other projects, I sing the praises of the wonders of GESSO. It will give you a key to paint onto. So that's a must have in your crafting cupboard! 
 
Right, we have our frame in front of us, so it's ready for a blast of colour to make it individual. By using several acrylic colours and some water, we can blend colours into each other. Just dab 'blobs' of colour around the frame and then with the aid of a wet but not saturated brush, start to manipulate the colour and blend it in. We have to use a heat gun if the frame is paper - this is to stop the paper from becoming water logged and then distorting out of shape.
 
Embellishments are next. Once we have cut and then backed our die cuts, it's time to build up colour. Using embossing powders, you can build up colours as if you were using inks. Take your time and draw onto your surface with a Perfect Medium Pen and then cover with embossing powder, then heat gun it and then start again. I mentioned in an earlier project, a way we can make rolled up flowers by cutting out a circle and then cutting into the centre by cutting in a circular motion, so there is one long piece. Then all we have to do is take the outer edge and start to roll up into a flower shape keeping the base of the flower level with a finger not worrying about the top edge being uneven.By the time you have finished, you should have your dress form, butterflies, dragonflies, and gears all embossed and ready to be secured onto your frame.

So what else have we got to do - let's do a check list. All the winged items have been embossed, the dress form has been embossed and small watch workings secured into the embossing powder. The flower has been embossed and secured into place behind the dress form and the metal butterfly has again been secured into the embossing powder. The backing paper has been printed to size and our watch parts are ready to be secured into place and we have our flourishes and corned embellishments.

Take a look at how I have built up the frame and while not following what I have done maybe take a hint from how I constructed it. There is no right or wrong way of doing something like this, it's all down to your interpretation of what you see. Please send me photographs of projects that you have done after looking at what I have offered up for this Design Team offering. Like all members of the Team at That's Crafty, we would love to see what we have inspired you to create. I am hoping to open up a gallery of projects on my blog, with your photos. If you do send me a photo, can you also give me permission to use it on my blog, as I can't show work that has not been given permission.

O
kay I hope this will inspire you to dig out an old frame and make something that can then be put out on display and admired by family and friends.

 
Any questions please send me a message and I will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Alan

2 comments:

  1. An amazingly detailed creation Alan and on my favourite theme too - wonderful!
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Create, artful and unique!
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...