Sunday, 1 July 2012

Beach Comber by Deborah






Here’s a view from a beach hut window, using part of the Tando Creative Mini Printer Tray with Cover. I haven’t used the cover, but only because I messed it up!
First, I glued the three frames together, painted them with gesso followed by a layer of Mustard Seed Crackle Paint.  Finished with a dab of Wild Honey Distress Stain in some areas. Then I cut a piece of corrugated card to the size of the backing piece. I decorated this with ‘waves’ -  torn strips of crumpled Kraft Glassine, painted with more crackle paint, Weathered Wood and Picket Fence. I stuck these on with strong double-sided tape.
The glass bottles are from PaperArtsy Hot Pick1109, stamped with Jet Black Archival Ink and coloured with various ProMarkers including Tea Green, Holly and Denim Blue. I glued two of them with Modge Podge to some Clearly for Art Film and heated them in order to curve them. To be honest, I don’t think they look any more 3D than the flat ones which I mounted on foam tape and on closer inspection, they look folded rather than rounded. I don’t seem to get on very well with art film – maybe these stamps were too small? Why didn’t I stamp directly onto clear film to make them look more glass like? Because the stamped images were sent to me by Mandy! Also, I’m not sure how I would have attached them, as foam pads and glue would have both shown through.

The tiny sea urchin and shells are from my stash. I stuck those down with moulding paste (or spackle).
I had planned to punch two holes in the top of the frame and thread either rusty wire or jute so that the piece could be hung. However, once all three frames were glued together onto the backing piece they were simply too thick for my Cropodile. I tried using my traditional style eyelet setter but only succeeded in making dents which I had to fill with moulding paste and more crackle paint. Next time I would punch the holes before assembling everything.

Deborah

9 comments:

  1. WOW what a fabulous idea Deborah, I'm lacking in that dept ATM. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh very nice. i love your beachy stuff Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many ideas and techniques - love it! Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  4. great project using those Tando trays...I have a few of them but havent even touched them...youve inspired me now to have a go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tray, love the beach theme and all the texture going on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely theme - great finish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...