Thursday, 21 June 2012

Retro Dress Form Tags by Deborah





There are a lot of dress form stamps around at the moment and most of them are vintage style. Lovely though they are, I was pleased that the dress form in Claudine Hellmuth’s  Domestic stamp set is more retro than old-time. Domestic comes in both solid foam stamps and also clear outline stamps. You can use them separately or together.
I decided to make three tags, in a limited colour palette, using the dress form as a focal point.  I used manila tags similar to Ranger Inkssentials Surfaces Manila Craft Tags #5.  All the outline stamps are stamped with Adirondack Espresso Dye Ink.

Tag 1:
I swiped Barn Door Distress Stain over the tag, and stamped the circles from the clear stamp set in Adirondack Espresso. Then I scribbled over them with blue and yellow water soluble pastels.
I stamped the clear dress form onto mustard coloured textured card stock, cut it out and glued it with a glue stick to the tag. I added a little Wild Honey Distress Stain to the dress part, blue water soluble pastel to the dress form and Ruby Promarker to the neckline and waist detail. The ruffled hem was made with homemade washi-style tape (see my post of 18th June for details).
I stamped one of the clear buttons onto grey paper, adding a touch of blue pastel. Then I glued the paper to scrap cardboard and cut it out, sticking it over the hole in the tag. The words were cut from magazines.

Tag 2:
I stamped the foam dress form in Adirondack Cranberry dye ink and the clear stamp over the top – deliberately out of register – with Espresso. I stamped it again on scrap paper and cut it out, using the negative as a mask, so that I could stamp the clear dots onto the dress. I coloured these with blue pastel.
I stamped the foam buttons in Cranberry, Espresso and Butterscotch Adirondack inks, over-stamping with the clear button stamp. I drew round a circle die in black biro and coloured inside the circle with a Canary Promarker. The sentiment stamp is from Indigo Blu’s Grand Tour III. The little bird was stamped onto grey paper and over-stamped with the dots. He is coloured with water soluble pastels and I drew his leg with black biro.
The edges are stamped with the scratchy stamp from Tim Holtz Bitty Grunge. I coloured lightly over the exposed manila background with a flesh coloured pastel. I added baker’s twine and a brad to finish it off. Because the white in the baker’s twine was too bright, I ran over it with Wild Honey Distress Stain.

Tag 3:
I coloured with background of the third tag with Mustard Seed and Scattered Straw Distress inks, using a blending tool. I scribbled red water soluble pastel on top, blending it with my finger and a barely damp baby wipe. Next I stamped round the edges with the scratchy stamp from Bitty Grunge in Cranberry. Again, the dress form is stamped in Cranberry and Espresso but the red is much brighter because I was stamping onto the yellow inks. The rulers, sun, sentiment and arrow are from My Mind’s Eye Indie Chic – Ginger – Pictures. The sun eyelet came with my Crop-o-dile.

Deborah

4 comments:

  1. Amazing tags...beautiful vibrant colours...love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these tags Deb... the colours work really well together

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are fabulous - such great colours. Thanks for sharing the techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful. I love the colours and the images are fantastic.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...