Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Mermaid’s Lair by Deborah






My mermaid lives in a cave created with a Tando Creative Mini Theatre Stage.
This ingenious theatre comprises six chipboard layers – a backing piece and 5 frames - so that you can add depth to whatever you put inside. The layers also help the theatre stand up.
I only used the back piece and 4 further layers - and I put the frame that is supposed to go on top, which is different shape from the others, second from the top, to create even more depth.
The background layer: I stuck some inked and stencilled paper onto the back sheet with double sided tape. I used a blue spray ink and The Crafter’s Workshop Mini Cosmic Swirl mask.
I stamped Sweet Pea Solitary Dream in Jet Black Archival ink onto white card and cut away the background. I coloured the mermaid with various pens in greens and blues. For her skin I used Tea Green Promarker. I dabbed Rock Candy Distress Stickles on top and sprinkled a little silver glitter. I mounted her on foam pads.
Layer 1: I painted a scrap of paper with dark blue acrylic paint and tore it to make waves, which I also stuck on with foam tape (2 layers). You can’t actually see them in the finished piece.
Layer 3: I cut a piece of acetate and coloured it with various alcohol inks in blues and greens, leaving the centre clear. I added a small amount of blue glitter glue.
Layer 4 and 5: I glued these layers together and covered them in thick layer of Golden Molding paste (similar to Eco Green Artists Spackle). I sprinkled Woodware Micro Beads into the wet paste and also attached shells and two sea horse embellishments. Once dry, I squeezed alcohol inks quite liberally over the frame to cover everything.
I glued all the frames together using strong glue. It helped to glue the bottom three together first, ensuring they were stuck properly before adding the encrusted frame (layer 4 and 5), as I didn’t want to press too hard on the top and risk dislodging the beads and embellishments.
NB I should have painted the outside edges of the layers before I glued it all together as it was very difficult to add it afterwards without risking spoiling the front. So I’ve left the edges for now.
Finally, I added a little Glossy Accents to the acetate and sprinkled a few more micro beads on top.

Deborah

7 comments:

  1. How gorgeous is this, love it, great idea and such beautiful colours and textures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the colours and the whole layout. fab work Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally fabulous, x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's stunning.The colours are so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fab masterpiece:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So worth popping over to see the whole project. It really is beautiful. I love the sea shells - such a clever touch. Love it!!
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...