Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Old Curiosity Shoppe Card by Alan Scott




  

This card was made using stamps from Graphic 45 called Olde Curiosity Shoppe 2. They feature wonderful Victorian/Steam Punk style Images. The bottles can be over stamped with various wording, so one stamp can lead to 5 or 6 different Images.

MATERIALS NEEDED:


1 Set of the Graphic 45 Olde Curiosity Shoppe 21 sheet of A4 white card
1 6ins x 5ins semi gloss card. The card must be able to take a water colouring medium and  be moved on the paper to mix and shade
1 black ink pad  (At the moment I'm hooked on Adirondack)
Selection of AquaMarkers or what ever watercolouring pens/pencils that you have in your crafty stock
Baby wipes
Plain brown wrapping paper
Silver foil (I used the top from a milk carton)
A Happy Birthday stamp
As a crafter l throw nothing away, so I had a wooden peg that I removed from a card I received. All I did was age it using the Walnut Stain Ink
Spellbinders Label Cutting Die
Backing sheet - I had some fake snake skin style paper that fitted in perfectly
Normal crafty items: glue, scissors, craft knife, metal edged ruler, craft mat etc.

RIGHT, HOW DID I MAKE THE CARD?

First l took my brown paper and then crumpled it up. Then carefully unfolding it, l secured on to the white A4 card stock. Then using the Walnut Stain, l carefully rubbed over the brown paper to highlight the folds and creases.

The bottles were first inked and then separately embossed with the clear embossing powder. I did each one separate so that l could get a good clean embossed image. After they had been embossed, I re stamped the bottles with the wording stamps. Again, I did this so l got a clean embossed image. I used a low heat on my heat gun as I knew I was going to do a lot of embossing and did not want to warp the card too much.

When all the embossing was done, I took my watercolouring pens and started to colour in the images. As the card was a semi gloss, l could move the colour from the pens around and mix in the colouring, giving a very nice blend. If there was too much water on the card, I controlled the flow using a baby wipe.Using a black and watering it down, I was able to give the bottles shadow at the base. This anchored the images into place. When each bottle had been coloured I gave it a blast with my heat gun just to ‘fix’it.

When l was happy with the result, I used my Spellbinders die and cut the shape out. Then using the Walnut Stain l gave the edges a light staining.

All that was left with the images was to build up the card, making sure each layer was in the right position. For this, l used a photographic style glue which did give me some freedom of movement.

Now then the bottle top. Using my Alcohol ink and blender l re-colored the silver into a silver/bronze coloured surface. Then after l had drawn around the die, I stamped the phrase ‘Happy Birthday’. As it was a metal, this ink is the best due to the nature of the surface of the material. I then cut the die out using my Grand Caliber. Using the wooden peg, I clipped it onto the die. Then using a strong clear glue, I built up a small mound of the glue so that when it was placed onto the card, it would be level with the peg when secured onto the card.

There you have it - a card that can be given to any member of friend of the family.Hope you like it and if you have any questions, please ask away.

Alan

5 comments:

  1. Fab card, love the rainbow effect on those perfume bottles, terrific. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful colours there and I love the fact that you can interchange labels. Great x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful card! Makes me want to get my heat gun and embossing powders out - don't use them enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a gorgeous card Alan :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. Those bottles are SO cute. Thanks for sharing how to..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...