Monday, 26 March 2012

The Ladies Cycling Team by Deborah






My first thought on seeing Kanban’s London stamp plate was, this is a set of great accent stamps for anyone scrapping the London 2012 Olympics, or a visit to London this year. As I am neither a scrapper nor remotely interested in sport, my second thought was, so how can I use them? Well, mixing them in with other stamps available at That’s Crafty!, I invented my own vintage Olympic cycling event in a diorama...



I took a large (Cook’s Matches) and drew round it on a piece of cereal packet cardboard, then measured around ¼" inside my drawn rectangle to form my cutting line for the opening. I completed the frame by measuring around 1¼” either side of the rectangle, ¾” at the bottom and 1¾” at the top. I shaped the top with a Tim Holtz on the Edge die and cut out the opening carefully with a scalpel.
I printed a vintage map of London I found on the Internet to cover the frame, inking the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and an inking tool, then going over the very edge with a Henna ProMarker. I lined the inside of the matchbox with squared paper and added some sky with Faded Jeans and Antique Linen Distress Stains.

Then I stamped various images onto lightweight white cardstock using Adirondack Espresso Dye Ink and Memento Paris Dusk and coloured them with Antique Linen Distress Stain and Tea Green and Mustard ProMarkers.

The clock face, London and Big Ben are from the Kanban London plate; the lady cyclists and the buildings are from Character Constructions’ Mannequin Café Plate 15 and Queen of Tarts Plate 10; the cogs are from Kanban’s Jasper stamp set.

When I cut out the images for inside the matchbox, I added a ¼” tab at the bottom, and stuck on some thin double-sided tape, so they could stand up. The matchbox is simply taped to the back of the frame. I taped a small matchbox underneath so that the diorama stands up. If you wish you can neaten the back with paint and/or patterned paper.
Finally I added the metal game spinner and cog which are, of course, Tim Holtz Idea-ology.

Deborah

12 comments:

  1. Excellent, Deb - love all the detail and the scenery and I share your lack of interest in sport and scrapping, lol. Great work - very imaginative x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous vintage piece Deb! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh how fantastic, beautifully made and very imaginative. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous project Deb, it reminds me of the little puppet shows that used to be on display at the Museum of Childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful piece, just gorgous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Deb this is fabulous, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is simply fabulous!!!! Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dimensional element you've brought to this, and what a great vintage feel it has! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a fabulous creation. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is brilliant, I love it.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...