Monday, 27 February 2012

A Trio of Tags by Deborah



Hi everyone! I am the newest Design Team member for the fabulous That’s Crafty! and my first offering is three tags featuring the Paper Artsy Hot Picks 1111 stamp plate.The manila tags I used are pretty much the same size as Ranger Inkssentials Surfaces Manila Craft Tags #5. I think the Ranger ones are probably sturdier, which is no bad thing when you are painting and spraying.






Plenty More Fish

I began by smooshing Faded Jeans Distress Stain through the Fence Frame 6x6 template from The Crafter's Workshop. I chose it because it made me think of fishing net but here it’s quite subtle, letting the manila tag show through. The way I craft is to try something, see what happens and then proceed accordingly. I stamped the fish with Adirondack Espresso dye ink and lightly coloured them with a Sandstone ProMarker, before cutting them out. I then tucked them into the arms of my bathing belle. I use a matte medium such as Claudine Hellmuth’s to glue things down firmly. Because it is matte, you can use it to seal as well. I’ve been playing with Tim Holtz’s new Kraft Glassine to see what it can do. Here, I tore a strip and rather than crumple it, folded it lengthways and then crossways and flattened it out again. I painted it lightly with an Adirondack Snow Cap Paint Dabber, then stamped on top in Jet Black Archival Ink. I finished the edges of the tag with the Snow Cap paint and Espresso ink and attached a strip of weathered wire mesh that I found in gutter outside my house.


Zeppelfish Poste

I’m very partial to a bit of steampunk, so this Zeppelfish (great name!) really appealed to me. After rubbing Weathered Wood Distress Ink lightly over the tag (direct to paper), I stamped the image and the ‘zeppelfish poste’ words in Adirondack Espresso dye ink. Next I lightly dabbed some Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint and left it to dry until the cracks started showing, then zapped it with a heat gun. The cracks aren’t very big because mine is drying up (I’m sure Tim said you can add water, so I’ll try it). The fish has a cog which I covered with a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sprocket and Spinner. I rubbed a little Espresso ink around the edges, added a bit of my scavenged wire mesh – and a small washer which I painted with Tim’s Terra Cotta Alcohol Ink.


Seaside Fresh Air
For my final tag I turned again to the Fence Frame template. However, this time I wanted the mesh to show more clearly. I put small blobs of Eco Green acrylic paint (Waterfall, Eggplant and Pistachio) onto a craft mat, spritzed with water and picked up a bit of each colour with some Cut N Dry foam to cover the tag. Then I sprayed a dark colour ink (I used Altered Originals Granite but Adirondack Color Wash Spray would work just as well) onto the template, flipped it and pressed it onto the tag. I pressed a wad of paper towel over the template to minimise coloured hands and help it dry. I picked up some more of the Pistachio paint and dabbed it lightly in patches over the top. More blotting with paper towel. I stamped and coloured the fish as before but this time using Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink and Yellow ProMarker. I used another piece of my altered Kraft Glassine (see Plenty More Fish) which I stamped using Memento Paris Dusk. The colour has come out lighter and more muted thanks to the Snow Cap paint underneath. My reclining beach babe happened to fit nicely on top and I tied a piece of Dovecraft fibre to finish off the tag.
I don’t think I’ve left anything out but if you have any questions, just leave a comment here or on my blog and I’ll get back to you.
Deborah

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous first design team project. The tags are gorgeous. I especially love the first one, she is fab and the sentiment is brilliant. I need to try out a bit more steampunk too.XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. these tags are brilliant Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely gorgeous Debs. Love those backgrounds which are a perfect setting for the images.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous tags Deb - 3 wows from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tags Deb.... wouldn't expect anything else from YOU! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tags for the DT, the lhird is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...