Mixed Media Floral Tag by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hi there, I have another mixed media creation to share this week, this one being a tag with many layers and it was definitely one of those go with the flow projects so I'll just do a sort of layer by layer list to show how it came about.

Step by Step

I began by cutting a piece of mixed media paper the same size as the MDF tag substrate that I wanted to used and covered it with a thin layer of light texture paste. Once it was dry, I used the abstract grid stencil with texture paste to add a pattern in opposite corners.

Once the background was dry, I added some bits of lace and torn strips of muslin with matte medium and left these overnight to dry completely. I then added sand texture paste in the areas not covered with pattern and around the lace and muslin to blend everything together.


I then added colour by dabbing on some multi surface paints, starting with buttercup, following with mint and lavender. I misted the paint with water and allowed it to run down the tag a little to blend the colours together.


My next task was to create my embellishments so I stamped my chosen flower twice on mixed media paper with VersaFine Imperial Purple ink and painted the images with heavily watered down shimmer paint, using purple and green. I cut out just the petals in purple and the whole flower from the other image. I stuck them together with dimensional glue after shaping the petals with an embossing ball tool.


I then felt that my background needed an extra touch so I added a little more pattern in opposite corners using texture paste with the gorgeous new fleur de lys stencil (ooh la la!) which I know will be a firm favourite of mine. Once dry, I painted them with purple shimmer paint.

I assembled my panel using my shimmery flower with a mix of sequins, gems and some tiny glittery butterflies from my embellishments box, adding a gem to my flower for some more glimmer. The final touch was to add some bits of felting wool in lovely shades which toned perfectly with the purple and green theme of my tag. I then glued my background to the tag which I painted purple around the edges and tied some sari ribbon through the top.


Supplies 

That's Crafty! Surfaces MDF Size 10 Tag
That's Crafty! Clear Stamp Set - Fanciful Flowers Set 2
That's Crafty! 8 x 8 Stencil - TC8023 Abstract Grid
That's Crafty 6.5 x 7.5 Stencil - TC7030 Fleur de Lys
That's Crafty! Light Texture Paste
That's Crafty! Texture Paste
That's Crafty! Texture Sand Paste
That's Crafty! Multi Surface Paints
That's Crafty! Shimmer Paints
White Mixed Media Paper
DecoArt Media - Matte Medium
Extras - Scraps of lace and torn muslin, gems, sequins and glittery fabric butterflies


I hope you all have a lovely weekend, a long one if you're in the UK and hoping for some sunny weather for once too.
See you next week!

Fliss x

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Love how you have built and created texture upon the tag Fliss and I love those subtle pastel tones. Very pretty piece of mixed media.
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty Fliss, and such a lovely shade of purple - I'm always a little bit scared of purple lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful, - your background is amazing, with the stenciled pattern, the muslin and lace, surrounded by the sand paste.- wow- I love that Fliss- Also the new lovely Fleur de Lys, looks lovely with your wonderful flower. An amazingly beautiful creation.
    Hugs, Dorthe, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely tag. Liking the soft colours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty Fliss, the colours are so delicate and perfect for the focal imagery. Love the texture ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soft pastels are so pretty over the background texture, and your flower looks fabulous.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tag in such lovely pastel colours
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful tag Fliss, just adore the pastel colours you’ve used too
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook