Joyful Flowers, Mixed Media Art by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hello everyone, it's Fliss here today and I'm really delighted to share with you a mixed media gigantag featuring some of the new stamps that I designed for That's Crafty! I can't begin to tell you how amazing it is to have a dream come true!

Here's what I did:

As I used the white/greyboard version on the tag, no undercoat was necessary and I got working on it straight away. I used the dot mandala stencil just above the centre on the left hand side, off setting it slightly to add the pattern with texture paste. I then used the abstract grid stencil randomly around the edges with more texture paste.

When the paste had dried thoroughly, I painted the entire surface of the tag with pink, blue and purple shimmer paints applied in rough streaks until the surface was mostly covered. I then dry brushed the raised areas with gesso to make them stand out more.

I painted some paper with pastel pink and lilac, created by mixing magenta and purple multi surface paints with white. I stamped 3 of the flowers (the one I call a quilt flower) on the lilac paper and just the centre area 3 times on pink paper. I stamped 4 leaf sprigs on liac paper too. All stamping was done with grey ink.

I added some detail with marker pens to both the flowers and leaves, then cut out all the images. I glued the pink centres on top of the lilac flowers and then gently scrunched them for a shabby chic look.

I next added some embellishing to the tag, using sequins and beads from my stash, painting the sequins with a little purple paint to dull the shine and make them look more vintage. I spread some glue over the textured areas round the edges and sprinkled on some chunky pastel glass glitter lurking in my stash - Prima micro beads would be a good substitute.

I glued the flowers and leaf sprigs on top of the textured mandala, making sure that some of this peeped out underneath. I painted a plaque from the matching white/greyboard sets with pinky lilac and stamped the lovely quote on with Archival plum ink.

The finishing touch was some recycled sari silk ribbon in toning shades from my stash.



Supplies List:

That's Crafty! Clear Stamp Sets - Fanciful Flowers Set 1 and Set 2
That's Crafty! Surfaces White/Greyboard Gigantag
That's Crafty! 8 x 8 Stencils - TC8023 and TC8026 (coming soon)
That's Crafty! White/Greyboard Matches - Fanciful Flowers Set 1
That's Crafty! White Texture Paste
That's Crafty! Multi Surface Paints - Magenta, Purple, White
That's Crafty! Shimmer Paints - Dark Blue, Pink, Purple
Ranger Archival Ink - Plum, Watering Can
Extras - Sequins, Beads, Pastel Chunky Glass Glitter, Toning Recycled Sari Ribbon


There'll be lots more projects featuring all the new stamp sets now in the online store as fellow designers Donna and Melina both have some gorgeous new sets out.

We have some more Hochanda shows coming up very soon too so make sure you receive our newsletter for all the details.

See you next week.
Fliss x

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Love your mixed media piece Fliss, wish people could see how it really does shimmer and shine. Showcases your flower designs perfectly. Hope to get to work with them very soon.
    Wishing you a brighter week ahead.
    Big Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful Fliss! Lovely designs 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Fliss,

    It is a beautiful tag- oh I love the stenciling you did, giving so much texture, and that you brushed a little gesso on top, to make them stand out- under and on the sides of your wonderful blower bouquet , which looks so gorgeous on top of the mandala. Also I totally love your spread of glittery jewels.
    I wish you a peaceful, and lovely weekend , dear friend.
    Hugs, Dorthe- xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Fliss and well done on your first stamp collection
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful stamps Fliss that you must be so proud of designing, they’re gorgeous :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gentle and peaceful - really ADORE this Fliss. Xj.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook