Live In The Moment - A Paperdoll By Lynne Moncrieff

11:00

Hello
This week I thought I would share a paper doll made with Character Constructions stamps.
She holds a positive message in her hands but I will be honest, there was a reason behind some of the supplies used on this paperdoll.  Like so many others, I have a few Tim Holtz Idea-ology items but mine gather dust!  I never did succumb to the Idea-ology spell, only a few items caught my eye at the time.  Tissue Wrap and Word Bands were such items, it was time to make use of them.

(Remember - Laura will special order any Character Constructions stamps that are not in stock on the That's Crafty! site.  Simply email with your request)



Supplies

Character Constructions Clear Stamp Set Paris Flea No. 4 (head and upper body)
Character Constructions Clear Stamp Set Paris No. 3 (skirt element)
Character Constructions Clear Stamp Set Paris Flea No. 2  (beret)
Memento Ink Tuxedo Black 
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Word Bands
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tissue Wrap
Gesso
Matte Gel Medium
Cardstock (for stability)
Scissors (Fine pointed scissors are an advantage such as this set from Kaisercraft)
Foam Brush/Sponge Applicator
Speedball Brayer
Baby Wipes
UHU Glue Stick/Tombow
Various Scraps of Ribbon, Twine and Buttons (Black and White)

Note - I used legs from a Character Constructions set I own but they could be substituted with legs from Paris Flea No. 8 or Cirque No. 3

Instructions

I am sure, if you ask different people who adore making stamped paperdolls, they will all have their own preferred approach for stamping, fussy cutting and assembling.  This approach is the one that best suits me, using the supplies that I've chosen but you will find your own preferred method.

First, apply white Gesso to the Tissue Wrap. I like to apply the Gesso first with a sponge applicator then blending with a baby wipe. This allows for a diffused appearance, allowing the text to peek through yet not to be too intrusive to the finished paper doll.  Leave to dry thoroughly.

Stamp the various paperdoll elements required.  For this paperdoll I stamped a beret, head with upper torso and arms, skirt/crinoline and two legs.  When stamping the elements try to pay attention to the text of the Tissue Wrap, I allowed the skirt/crinoline to be stamped onto an area where the text was relatively bold as I knew it would add to this stamped element and not be too overpowering which it would have been if I had stamped her face onto this section of text.




To create stability for the stamped elements, roughly cut around each stamped element and adhere to cardstock. A paperdoll such as this, you can see she is made from various components so when adhering them, at the rear there will be overlaps. You can use white cardstock and on completion of the assembled paperdoll,  paint the rear with black Gesso or as I do, adhere to black cardstock which  eliminates the need for black Gesso. When I want to write a personalised message I use a white Sharpie paint pen.

A UHU stick is quite successful for adhering the Tissue Wrap to chosen cardstock. Use a brayer to ensure good adhesion and remove any air bubbles. Leave to dry before fussy cutting each stamped element. This is when fine detail scissors makes the work so much easier!




Once all the stamped elements are fussy cut, play around with placement before adhering (when assembling the dolls I use Gel Medium to adhere. For me, UHU glue stick isn't suitable for this stage not if you want your paperdolls to withstand being handled). It's amazing how placement can alter the personality of a paper doll.  For this doll, I decided on a black and white colour palette so I gathered scraps of ribbon, lace, twine and a spotted button and layered the Word Band to lace so that it wouldn't appear too harsh and also, it made it appear more banner-like, if you catch my drift!




Paperdolls are a wonderful way to utilize scraps of this 'n'that, even the smallest fragment can bring a dash of interest, such as the ribbon which I cut to layer behind the spotty button, it suddenly brought more interest to the button.



If starting out to collect Character Constructions stamps my advice would be, don't dismiss legs and arms! With so many collections it is easy to solely focus on Catherine Moore's beautifully illustrated faces and also dresses. It is also useful, in the early days to pick a stamp set which has a few elements on it for you to play around with.

Until next time,
Wishes
Lynne

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Your work with character constructions is superb, Lynne. I love how expressive you make your little characters with placement. I so agree with you about the Tim Holtz Idea-logy range - the word bands and the tissue are great and I do find myself coming back to them often, but some of the other elements don't have the same appeal. I love how you have used the beautiful, polka dot trim on her outfit, and the rather chic whimsy of the piece is exquisite. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is beautiful! This is an excellent tutorial too…I think it's time to spend some money!! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris
      Once you start it is so easy to slowly build a collection for mixing and matching.
      Lynne xx

      Delete
  3. She is such a dear, Lynne, this face is one of the most( for me ) loved faces, so cute an d mischievous, and you made a beautiful doll creation, out of all the different parts you assembled . Thank you for your great description on how to, - you really make me want to create one . xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really beautiful art doll Lynne. Love all the detail and the vintage chic style to her.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tutorial Lynne and I have to agree with Dorthe the face of your paper doll is so cute. Such a clever concept being able to create your very own unique paper doll with so many possibilities. Fabulous.
    Warm wishes Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute, impish face! She's adorable. I really like your black and white color theme. What a great tutorial in the details, Lynne. Tissue paper can be tricky to work with and you have supplied us with some great tips! CC is absolutely my favorite for doll stamps! Thanks for sharing, Lynne. Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I know you are a C.C fan :)
      It was a way of me using the Tissue Wrap which had almost been gathering dust. I never really grasped the use of it.
      Lynne xx

      Delete
  7. I love this stylish beauty Lynne! She holds a great message too!
    Alison xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous make and tutorial! Thank you for sharing your talent❣️//Melina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook