Journal by Amanda Southern

11:00


 Hi Everyone

I have been playing this week by making my own journal using Eileen Hull’s Journal die.







Here’s What I Did:


Using Eileen Hull’s Journal die, temporarily out of stock in the shop but back in stock soon, I cut the covers using mountboard - you could also use sheets of That’s Crafty! white/greyboard. 

I then painted the covers front and back in black gesso and then again with black Dylusions paint. I then took a piece of card that I had used to clean paint from my brayer on and cut it up into randomly sized square shapes and then added them to the front and back covers, overlapping them and applying so it gave me random finished edges. Taking a black Distress crayon I ran it around all the edges of each square and then blended this is using a slightly damp baby wipe and that best of all tool that we all have the finger. I then needed to seal this surface so gave it a coat of matte medium you have to apply this in quick brush strokes as the matte medium moves the Distress crayon around.

Once that was dry I stencilled on the flower, one of my favourite stencils from the ever growing That’s Crafty! own brand range, however I masked off some of the stencil with tape before I used it as I only wanted the flower part.






I blended from yellow in the centre to orange to red applying Finnabair Impasto paints with Cut and Dry Foam. I let that dry and then added the Jade Impasto paint through another stencil. I then sealed it all again with matte medium. The back cover was made to match. 

Onto a scrap of white card I blended from red to yellow using Spectrum Noir Sparkle Pens but you could do this with any water based pens or inks and onto this I stamped the sentiment from one of Lynne’s Affirmations stamp set. I then put the journal together following the instructions of the die.







I then filled the journal with a selection of different sorts of blank pages that take a variety of art mediums, I also included some designer papers.






I’m thinking it might make a little gift for an arty friend.


Here’s What I Used:


Big Shot Die Cutting Machine
Scrap paint covered paper from my stash
Finnabair Impasto Paints – Lemon Peel, Pumpkin, Poppy Red & Jade
Istencil - Patti Tolley Parrish from my stash but similar available
Black String Elastic
Black Button
Selection of artist papers
Designer papers from my stash

Have a fabulous day

Love
Amanda X

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. A fabulous journal cover Amanda and the bright colours are so striking against the black. A favourite stencil of mine too and love what you've created with it.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love all those colours together the black really makes it pop so boldly. Fab use of stencils, i'm sure your arty friend will be overjoyed with this beautiful gift!!
    Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY ! Amanda, what a fabulous art piece , a gorgeous cover it is. Love the jade stenciled pattern on top of the flower ! Such a very special gift to your friend, she will love it.
    Hugs, Dorthe xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such amazing vibrant colours perfect for the bold graphics of the floral stencil - this is an absolutely fantastic journal, Amanda - wow!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic cover CC, glad to see you’ve put pages in it unlike the ones I made that are still waiting for them 😂
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook