Autumn Woodland by Fliss Goodwin

11:00


Hello and welcome to my blog post on this rather exciting day! I hope you caught the first of the That’s Crafty! shows on Hochanda today and poor Neil had to be up at the crack of dawn as it was at 7am! The second show is on now so do go and watch if you can. I’m sharing one of my samples here and I can’t tell you how much I loved working with these fabulous new products – they’re all amazing!







Ingredients:


That’s Crafty! Bits and Pieces Greyboard Embellishment Sheets – Robins and Doves, Leaves, Toadstools
That’s Crafty! Metallic Paint – Copper, Antique Gold
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Browns, Greys, Yellows, Greens and Titan Buff
Fine Embossing Tool
Wooden Skewer


Recipe:



The first thing to do is to apply the texture paste to the upright section of the art panel. It needs to be fairly thickly spread and then comes the fun part – use the wooden skewer to draw a tree bark pattern into the paste. Make sure you don’t cover the bits that slot into the base, as this will make it very difficult to put together later.






Once the paste is dry, paint with shades of grey, brown and a little green paint using the DecoArt acrylics. I find the easiest way to do this is to add large drops of paint to a craft mat or ceramic plate and then pick up the paint with a fairly wide brush. You can mix it up a much as you like as that way the end result will be much more realistic.







Once the paint was dry, I brushed on the shimmer and metallic paints lightly to give the surface some sheen. I then painted the base to match.

The next task was to paint my embellishments and for these, I searched the internet for colour inspiration for the toadstools and found an amber shade with spots that I really liked. I first painted the greyboard with the buff shade and then mixed yellow and burnt sienna with the buff to form my chosen shade. I completed the painting and added a little detail with a brown pencil.

I painted the leaves using a very easy dipping method. This involves adding a puddle of several paints in shades of Autumn to a plate, swirling the colours together and then pressing the leaves into the paint. I had enough to colour quite a few leaves so these will be appearing a bit later on this year.






My final task was to paint the bird and I have to admit to first painting up one as a robin but there wasn’t enough contrast so I decided on a greenfinch and once again used a photo from a Google search as inspiration. I hope you like how my little fella turned out.






Once I had painted everything I assembled my panel using silicone glue to give it dimension.


We have a new challenge today over at That’s Crafty! Challenge Blog today too so why not hop over to see how you can win a voucher for the online shop and with all the fab new goodies going in there, this is not to be missed!

Have a great weekend and see you next week.

Fliss x

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Absolutely love this, the details and textures are amazing....star of the show :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing details, Fliss, the texture created for the bark, is amazing dear, and so are your painted bird, and toadstools,- I love it !!
    Hugs, Dorthe, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely upright Fliss. Looked fab on the show. I love the bark it's just brilliant. Love the green bird too. Fab make.
    Much love, Bev. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant make, fabulous bark effect on this,
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love this Fliss, the wee bird is so sweet. Not had chance to watch the shows yet as I didn't get in till late this evening. Look forward to watching them over breakfast tomorrow. Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Fliss - love your bark effects and the bird colouring is fab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use the upright - your gnarled tree bark is wonderful, Fliss - a lovely autumn setting.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook