Rusty Upright by Nikki Acton

09:22



I have been a little obsessed with painting rust recently! The new PaperArtsy/Seth Apter limited edition paints are just perfect this.






TAG


I began by painting the MDF upright with Mud Splat using a wide brush and vertical brushstrokes. Once dry I did the same with Green Patina ensuring, this time, that I did not completely cover the base colour. I find the less you think about this the better – just go for it – most of it is covered up anyway. Some background stamping was added using one of Lin Brown’s PaperArtsy stamp sets (ELB 29) and a cracks stamp from my stash.


RECTANGLE


I had a small piece of greyboard left from a previous project on my desk that I had painted with DecoArt Crackle Paint. I wasn’t sure if adding more colour would cover the crackles but it didn’t. I added some Terracotta, Mahogany, Mud Splat, Buff and Green Patina to give it a worn look. To give it a rusty appearance around the edges I added Little Black Dress with my finger followed by Mahogany and Smoked Paprika. 






RUSTY BORDERS


For the rusty edges to the tag I tore some card and added some DecoArt Texture Sand paste. Once dry I added Little Black Dress. It is then just about building up colour using Mahogany, Terracotta, Smoked Paprika and Black, sometimes dry brushing and other times allowing some watered down colour to pool in the texture. You can see how I do this in this video:






HEART


I followed a similar rusting process on the MDF heart but this time I prepped it with some Grunge Paste – applying unevenly with my finger. Once dry I added the same combination of colours as above.






The little flower on the heart is a tiny cheap metal embellishment - I added a little black and Green Patina paint.


Nikki

Supplies


You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. You are rocking that rust absolutely lush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic ! Nikki . Just loving your grungy rust x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous Nikki and amazing rusty texture.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant effect and great video
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. An incredible creation Nikki, it is beautiful. Love the video too! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow absolutely loving this trip into rusty heaven!!
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, that rust does look real! Fantastic!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great nikki i love your rusty patina looks!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A stunning piece of art, rusty heaven Nikki! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook