Hi there, I’m sharing another of my Hochanda samples this week, one of the gorgeous house acrylic stacks which I think are perfect to make a gift for someone for an occasion such as buying a new home. As I’m drawn to nature my thoughts immediately turned to the cottage garden that has always been a secret wish of mine.
Tim Holtz Cling Stamp Sets – Wildflowers, Watercolor
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Titan Buff, Medium Grey Value 6, English Red Oxide, Raw Sienna, Cobalt Teal Hue
Archival Ink – Fern Green, Jet Black
Ranger Dye Inks – Cheese Puff, Lavender Field
Stickles Glitter Glue – Grape Crush, Lime Green, Orange Slice, Pink
First you need to prepare the MDF surface, which I painted with a coat of the Titan Buff paint. This shade makes a good undercoat as it’s softer than white. I then added some warmth by sponging the Blush paint over the top.
The next step is to use the brick stencil with the Grunge Paste to add a brick pattern in several patches on the house area below the roof. I added the pattern in 3 places and wasn’t too precise with the application as I was aiming for a shabby look.
When the texture paste is dry, use a stiff paintbrush to dry brush the grey, red and brown paints over the raised areas. Again, it isn’t necessary to cover the whole area.
I made the roof by stamping the scalloped border design from the Carabelle set several times on stamping card using the black ink. I then roughly painted the borders with the red oxide paint and cut the images out, making sure to leave space at the top to allow for overlapping.
I painted the chimney red to match and stamped part of the scallop image on in black so that it would blend in with the roof. I assembled the roof by trying the sections out to get the best fit and then stuck them on, starting at the bottom and working up, trimming as I went. The trickiest bit is by the chimney and it’s best to stick down the other side first then trim the bit next to the chimney before sticking it down.
Next stamp some of the wildflowers on stamping card using the lavender, lilac, orange and green inks. I chose the shapes that I felt would be in my imaginary garden. I then cut the images out. The number you need will depend on which flowers you choose and how you decide to layer them up.
I decided my flowers needed a bit more pizazz so I used the glitter glues to add details to them. I also stamped a couple of butterflies, painted these with the Cobalt Teal shade and when the paint had dried, painted glitter glue over the top of those too before cutting them out.
Now comes the fun part of layering up the elements on the acrylic. I unfortunately haven’t got any pics of the layers as my camera couldn’t cope with the acrylic without mega reflection issues.
The best thing to do is to try everything out before gluing it on. I ended up with the flowers on the MDF layer and the first acrylic layer and the butterflies on the second acrylic layer. I added my chosen sticker – I thought this one very apt! – on the MDF layer before bolting the sections together.
We have a new challenge for you today over at That’s Crafty! Challenge Blog and it’s a theme I really loved and hope you will too. It goes live at 8am so don’t forget to check it out at 8am to see how you could win a great prize.
Have a great weekend and see you next week.