I’m so excited to finally be able to share my Brusho holder with you and I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed decorating it. I’ve gone for really bright shades with my favourite Finnabair stamp set for inspiration. There are quite a lot of pics to show the process so I hope you can stick with me!
That’s Crafty! Dinky Stencils – Flight of Butterflies, Distressed Harlequin Background, Circles Background
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Hansa Yellow Medium, Cobalt Teal Hue, Cobalt Blue Hue, Carbon Black, Pyrrole Orange, Pyrrole Red, Yellow Green Light
The first thing I did was to sponge white gesso over all the sections on both sides. I then used DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics to colour the panels. On the outside I used the yellow, blue and green paints which I applied with baby wipes. This gives a very soft look and blends the colours well.
I then decorated the bottom on the basis that being underneath it wouldn’t matter quite so much as practice makes perfect! I used the 3 stencils with black, red and white paints to add a pattern. I then stamped on a circle design from the stamp set with Archival black ink.
Having decorated the base I was a bit more confident about embarking on the rest. I decided I wanted to add some butterflies but I didn’t want to stamp them separately and stick them on. I then had a brainwave and stamped on my chosen butterflies with white ink (if this seems familiar it’s because Alison and I had exactly the same idea at the same time!). They’re a bit faint but you can just see them.
I painted the butterflies with white gesso, painting just over the outlines.
I then stamped the same butterflies over the top of the gessoed images with black pigment ink and heat embossed them with clear powder. You’ll see this gives a slight white border which makes the butterflies really pop!
I next painted the butterflies orange, as I wanted a really bright contrast. I added stencilling exactly as I had done for the base, fitting it in around the butterflies. I stamped the text and some circles on with Archival black ink to pull my design together.
I repeated this design on all four sides, adding just one butterfly on the ends. On the reverse side of all sections, I used a combination of the green, blue, orange and yellow paints which I applied in a sort of marbled pattern.
I glued all the sections together to finish and hope you like the effect.
I hope you’re enjoying all our boxes so far and there are more to come. They look absolutely fabulous stacked up too.
Have a great weekend and see you next week.