Lindy’s Stamp Gang Starbursts in Marigold Yellow Orange, Sweet Violet Purple Teal, Bling y Blonde, Hottie Pattootie Hot Pink, TiffanyLou Blue, Hi Maintenance Magenta, Mad Hatter Mint, Funky Frakenzlime
Archival Ink – Magenta Hue, Tiger Lilly, Watering Can and Black
Basic Grey Euro Edge Rub Ons in white
I hope you had a fantastic Christmas, that Santa was generous with the crafty goodies and you ate and drink lots of lovely things, oh and survived the Boxing Day sales. Now with 2016 looming and the thought of resolutions in my head I was drawn to this text stencil, in reality every day is filled with intentions – to clean the house, do some ironing, lose weight, do exercise etc but rarely do those intentions survive. As a person with a chronic health condition, pain and low energy those things just don’t sound fun enough, hence the choice of cheeky looking birdy who is whistling into space having been caught not doing what they should! The purpose of this page was to try our various techniques with the Lindy’s Stamp Gang Starburst Sprays. Don’t you just love some of those colour names!
I started by randomly spritzing colours all over my journal page. I was not too worried about mixing colours as Lindy’s are made with a different type of dye to most sprays so it is pretty difficult to make a mud colour. I also spritzed water to get the colours to move and run. I had not put gesso on the page as I wanted to see how they would work, this did of course mean the paper got very wet but it survived.
Next I used the Journal du Jour and Collage nid d’arbeilles stamps randomly to create some background interest using the Magenta Hue, Tiger Lilly and Watering Can archival inks. The Starburst sprays being packed with shimmer leave a slightly slick surface so I was interested to see whether the Archival would work but it did perfectly, I probably would not recommend using a pigment ink though.
Next came Rub Ons, not all surfaces will accept rub ons so I wanted to test the Lindys. Now I did struggle a bit with these, but as I had had these rub ons for ages (as in years) I checked them on black card and they were a bit of a struggle and on other Lindy’s sprayed paper I tried Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs and they worked like a dream so in conclusion older rub ons may not behave as well as newer ones!
Next came the black texture paste through the stencil. Now this was tricky, partly as I was going over the spine in the book but it was OK.
Finally the Katzelkraft bird was stamped onto spare card, coloured with Pitt Artist Pens, cut by hand and stuck it on. Some doodling and random splashes of white paint and all done.