Friday, 23 October 2015

Highland Fling by Fliss Goodwin


Hi there, I have another Christmas card idea to share this week which was inspired by the recent repeats of the Monarch of the Glen TV series which immediately sprang to mind when I saw the stag stencils so I decided to showcase the single stencil image with my take on tartan fabric which is a bit more checked than tartan!





 
 
 

Ingredients: 


Distress InksCrushed Olive, Iced Spruce, Mowed Lawn, Peeled Paint, Brushed Corduroy
Coloured Pencils – Spectrum Noir Essentials Set is great
Ranger Embossing Powder – Copper, Gold Tinsel
Scrap of Deep Green Cardstock
Large Acrylic Block (mine is 6x6)


 

Recipe:

 

I made the background paper by applying stripes of the green Distress inks to the acrylic block and then misting with water. I cut a piece of card to fit my card blank and pressed this on the inked block to pick up the colour.
 

I dried the ink off with a heat gun and then added coloured pencil lines to form a checked pattern. I drew the first lines with a ruler but added the rest freehand. I used shades of green, orange and blue. I distressed the edges and then glued the paper to the card blank.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I cut a panel of stamping card and used the stencil to add the stags head with the brown Distress ink and heat embossed the image with a mixture of the 2 embossing powders as I wanted a coppery colour but with some sparkle. 
 
 
I trimmed the image to a panel and added it to a deep green mat. I stamped the sentiment on a scrap of stamping paper with the fern ink and added this to the card with the stags head panel to finish.
 
 
 
There’s a new challenge today over at That’s Crafty! Challenge Blog and it’s one you’re going to love so don’t forget to check it out at 8am.
 
 
Have a great weekend and see you next week.
 
Fliss x

10 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea Fliss, loving the highland feel to it all :)
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this Fliss. Fab background xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stagtastic! What a brilliant background love it!
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the background Fliss, great technique! A fabulous, festive card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fbulous background, a great result from a play session. Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like the way you have done the image and the background.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card and the stag motif is so very "on trend"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely amazed at that background, so clever and definitely represents tartan, certainly to my eye!
    Fliss, this is a wonderful design, placing the stag (in my ignorance I called it a reindeer!!!! I know, I really should know better!) as the focal is really dynamic and I love the colours you worked with.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever back ground and a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the shaded colours in the background - a great setting for the stag.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...