Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Art Journal Cover by Alison Hall



I'm still playing with the new That's Crafty! Dinky Stencils, and today I have a colourful art journal cover to share with you.








Ingredients...


That's Crafty! Dinky Stencils - Metal Grid Background, Triangle Ovals, Half Circles Background, Raindrops Background, Believe, Flight of Butterflies
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic Paint - Cobalt Teal Hue, Primary Magenta, Green Gold, Cadmium Orange Hue, Phthalo Blue, Metallic Gold, Carbon Black
Kaisercraft Clear Stamps - Film Edges, Triangles
Art Journal - The one I used is an 8 x 8 inch kraft coloured journal
Paintbrushes, Stencil Brush, Palette Knife, Heat Gun, Water Spray Bottle, Small Circular Lid



Instructions...


1. I began with a base coat of white gesso. Then I started my stencilling with Cobalt Teal Hue, Primary Magenta and Green Gold, and Dinky Stencils Metal Grid Background, Triangle Ovals and Half Circles Background.





2. I mixed a drop of Metallic Gold paint with some 3D Gloss Gel, then used a palette knife to apply it through the Raindrops Background Dinky Stencil. Once this was dry, I mixed some Cadmium Orange Hue with a couple of squirts of water, and used a flat paint brush to apply it to the top of my journal. I held the journal up, to allow the orange paint to drip down.






3. Next, I added some more stencilling with the Tim Holtz Cargo Stencil and Phthalo Blue.






4. I taped two Tim Holtz Journaling Tickets together, at the back, and stencilled the Believe Dinky Stencil with Carbon Black. 

I used the Prima Clear Crackle Paste to stencil the Flight of Butterflies over the top of the stencilled words. I left this to dry naturally overnight, as you get better crackles this way. 

I used the 3D Gloss Gel to glue the tickets to the journal, then Stencilled more butterflies, this time with DecoArt White Crackle Paste. Once the crackle paste was dry, I painted some Carbon Black paint shadow around the tickets, blending it with a baby wipe.

I added some circles with a small lid and the Carbon Black Paint, stamped the Kaisercraft Film Edges and Triangles with Archival Black Ink.






5. To finish, I dripped some watered down Cobalt Teal Hue down my journal, spritzing with water to spread it, thus highlighting the clear and white crackled butterflies.







Until next week,


Alison x

13 comments:

  1. wow Alison I love this, such a colourful cover, especially on this cold wet morning. Hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Alison, love the colours and the way you've show cased the fab stencils too ;)
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Alison! This is totally amazing! So bright and colourful and I can't believe how many stencils you combined on there! Clever use of those journal tickets too.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great mixed-media cover, love it!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the beautiful paintiness of this cover. It just so makes you want to open it up and create art inside. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous layering, as always. Gorgeous colours. Like Julie Ann, I want to open it up and see what else is inside. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  7. In admiration of the bold and confident use of the stencils and colours - stunning result.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really love this- such a vibrant and beautiful piece. Enjoyed seeing your processes too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this page, artsy and colourful messy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous - love the bright colours and textural paint work - and it all looks so cool against the kraft background.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Total coolness Alison! Great how to on creating this amazing background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful and colorful cover you created Alison.
    It has great depth too.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...