Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Note to Self by Amanda Southern


Hi Everyone

This Tuesday I have a little piece of altered art for you in the shape of an altered mousetrap. I have used a cheap standard wooden mousetrap that I paid less than £2 for from my local hardware shop. They make fabulous clips to hold those little notes that you don’t want to lose.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Here’s what I did:-

 
First thing is to disassemble the mouse trap discarding all the sharp bits keeping only the clip part. You then have a fabulous wooden surface to work on.
 
I first painted the mousetrap with Bora Bora PaperArtsy Fresco paint and when that was dry I then stenciled through various stencils again using contrasting colours of Fresco paint. I also dipped a plastic spray can lid into paint and used to add the circles.
 
I stamped my image, with black Archival ink, onto a scrap of gelli printed card and cut out. I then coloured parts of my image with a white paint pen you can do the same with a white gel pen and a red Distress ink pen which are fabulous for colouring over gelli prints. I cut my image in two separating the legs as there is a slight lip on the mouse trap and then glued them on with gel medium. I added Glossy Accents to the nose.
 
I then put the mouse trap back together, which can be a bit tricky due the tension of the spring. In order to make the spring easier to lift up to put your notes under I cut a piece of ribbon wrapped it around the bar and secured it together using eyelets and eyelet setter tool.

 
 
 
 
 

I have also decorated the sides and you can see how the legs are set back which gives it a more 3D look.
 
I finally added the “Note to Self” words which are Tim’s Remnant Rubs rubbed onto white card and then the words cut out.
 
 

What I used:-

 
Gelli print scrap made using Gelli Plate, acrylic paint & brayer
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paints – Bora Bora, London Bus & Little Black Dress
Tim Holtz Stencils – Arrows & Dot Fade
Plastic Can Cap

 
Hope you like it and I’ll see you next Tuesday
 
Love

 
Amanda X

6 comments:

  1. Quirkily gorgeous Amanda! A really great piece of alteration.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Fresco background, and I love your chessboard sheep - I'm getting definite overtones of Alice Through The Looking Glass (always the one I preferred over Wonderland).
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...