Monday, 13 July 2015

Home is Where the Heart Is by Moira Sutton


We are excited to announce the launch of our very own stencil range! The first size we are releasing are our Dinky Stencils, which have been designed to work on ATCs and smaller pieces of artwork, as the designs have been specifically scaled to size. However, they can also be used on larger projects too, as Moira’s fantastic project below so brilliantly proves! Moira has also used our new greyboard sheets which are also being released today.

Please join us this week as our very talented Design Team showcase all our new releases.








Materials

PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylic Paints – Mermaid, Waterfall and Antarctic, Moonlight, Pumpkin Soup, Vanilla, Rose, China, Sage and Smurf
Brayer
Small Round Punch

  

I am so delighted to be able to use the new stencils and greyboard products being produced and sold exclusively by That’s Crafty!  The stencils, called “Dinky Stencils” measure 12cm x 8.5cm which makes them perfect for small projects such as cards and ATCs but also large projects where using lots of different larger stencils can cause one stencil to smudge the previous one.   rarely use more than a small area of each stencil so these are perfect for me. They are so easy to line up as well so you can extend the size to any you want. I also love the way they have a hole punched in the corner so you can put them all on a ring to keep them tidy and handy. The price also means I can get lots of different patterns for my money.

I decided to make a panel featuring whimsy houses but instead of using patterned paper to make the houses, I would create my own with paint and stencils.

I started with a piece of 25cm x 21.25cm sized greyboard. I love the way these have rounded corners. 

I gave my board a coat of gesso.

To create the background I dabbed spots of the PaperArtsy Fresco paint in  Mermaid, Waterfall and Antartic over my board and using my brayer smoothed the paint over.






While this dried I put a base coat of the PaperArtsy Fresco paints in Moonlight, Pumpkin Soup, Vanilla, Rose, China, Sage and Smurf onto paper, I used the backs of 6 x 6 patterned paper I no longer liked, as this was the right thickness.  

Using the Dinky Stencils I went over the painted papers with a palette knife with a mixture of paint, and DecoArt Modelling Paste or paint and DecoArt Texture Crackle about 1 part paint to 12 parts paste to create a range of patterned papers.  






I cut the patterned papers into an assortment of shapes to make houses, roofs, chimneys, windows and doors of the whimsical houses and applied them to my base with Gel Medium. 

I cut a number of circles from old text paper and stamped the heart from the Trust the Magic stamp set onto card 3 times with Archival ink and fussy cut them out and stuck them to my board.





When the houses were dry, I added shadows and highlights with Pan Pastels, Oil Pastels and Pitt Brush Pens, and doodling with the Fude Pen and White Sharpie.
I printed out my text and adhered to the board. 


Moira

9 comments:

  1. Love those whimsical houses Moira! Great use of the stencils! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your houses look fab, love how you've used different dinky stencils to create great texture.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh - it's ADORABLE Moira.... so quaint and happy. j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable make! I can see the stencils flying off the shelves! All the best! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant creation Moira, anything house related makes me happy and you have really showcased the new stencils perfectly ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. An adorable project, LOVE it Moira!!... And these new stencils look very useful and versatile! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful and magical houses.
    The colors and textures and design are such fun!!!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fab Moira. The stencilling on the houses is an inspired idea.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...